Herb Alpert - My Funny Valentine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Jun 22, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I didn't mention that I really dug Herb's version... solo everything. Flat out nice!

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Jim, I really don't like answering questions about my background because long ago, when I first began posting on forums, I decided that I would rather have people weigh the merit of what I wrote, in and of itself. That is, either what I write resonates or doesn't. But just a few words, then, and this is (no offense) more for those who've been reading my posts since I joined and who may be curious:

I can't play worth a crap. :D I think most know that. I'm a come-back player. I quit playing trumpet in 1970. I would like to say, though, that I don't, and never have, thought that one's ability to play necessarily qualified or disqualified them from having valid musical opinions. One of the people who's musical opinions I valued the most - ever - was my first wife, who didn't play anything - although she was a dancer.

Also, since I'm throwing resume stuff out, I want to be clear, since you raised it in our post, that I don't have to diminish others to elevate myself. Hopefully, nowhere in this thread, have I intentionally demeaned anyone. If anyone feels like I have, please PM me. I've lived too long and made too many mistakes to be that dumb.

OK - brief resume - regarding playing trumpet, after the third month of playing trumpet in 7th grade, I moved to first trumpet and stayed on first in my school bands every year until graduation. I was first in all-state band and orchestra every year. Even got a waiver as a Jr. HS kid to play in the HS all state band. Trumpet was my major axe my first years in college and I played in an Air Force band for one hitch. Career-wise, I was a composer/arranger for several years and then a musical director for several decades. Educationally, I have a BM and MM in composition (both with honors) from Univ of N. Texas and also a DMA in conducting. I've also studied jazz from Berklee, the New School and Manhattan School of Music (at Amsterdam Conservatory). I've concertised, literally, from Saigon to Moscow. So, while one may disagree with me, I think you would agree that I've probably earned the right to hold whatever musical opinions I do have.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    We had a feeling you might have had more than a year on the horn kehaulani. Impressive.

I've enjoyed the discussion, even the disagreements. Not many forums where such would not have deteriorated into more than just sharing ideas. Thanks to all who have contributed. At least you got me listening to Alpert and Davis.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Candor

I appreciate your candor, kehaulani. I've only been regularly participating in TM a couple months, and I do not remember reading your "resume stuff" before, though I may have. Concerning the notion of earning rights to hold musical opinions, I'm not sure anything must be earned. We all have opinions. Some may be more informed than others, which may or may not increase their value and impact. We were both distinguished players as youngsters, though you were more distinguished than me. And the year 1970 is of musical significance to both of us too. It was right about then that I also laid aside my trumpet. I guess I got the impression that you were an accomplished player from the authority that comes through in your posts, that and your signature line and brief list of fine instruments. My question still lingers though, and you may have answered it in one of your earlier posts to this thread. If you cannot provide a brief example of one of your own solos that is not pedestrian nor limited by lack of technique and ideas, could you recommend one by someone else? If one comes to mind, it would be great if it is a youtube sort of thing. Please forgive me if you did this very thing in an earlier post to this thread.

Jim

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Re: Candor

Jim, sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. You want an example of a solo that is not pedestrian nor limited by lack of technique and ideas? Surely you can find those by yourself. They are legion. Otherwise, I'm just missing the point, altogether.

Sorry - just got back from an outdoor BBQ and maybe my mind's a bit stuffy. The rigors of an ill-begotten life in Texas. :woop:

I'm willing to help. Maybe I just need it spelled it out in third grade English.
    - - anyone else who can clarify for me, feel free to jump right in. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  7. corona

corona Pianissimo User

May 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    To the OP. Nice version of mfv. Thanks so much.

I've been trying to play this for a while now. albeit, I'm only a beginner - one of my favorite songs.

Love chet.

I love this version of mfv from him;
    Chet Baker ~ My Funny Valentine - YouTube

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Puzzling

Your latest post was a little puzzling, kehaulani, especially since the excerpt of mine that you quoted mirrored language you used in one of your earlier posts to this thread. But I am OK with that. I was simply a little interested in hearing a solo that that you might recommend that did not possess the weaknesses you have identified in Alpert's work. I did a quick check, and as it happens you answered my question in your first post to this thread:
    HTML:
    Regarding the recording in question, I was gritting my teeth before it was several seconds into it. Herb, dude, when you use a harmon - adjust the intonation! And the improvisation? Very pedestrian. Take away the production values, and there's not a great deal left more than what most adequate improvisers can do.

Here are a couple of versions I enjoy that I'd offer to supplement anyone's listening pleasure in addition to Herb's instrumental pop version:

Chet (skip the vocal if you don't like Chet's singing. I think it sets up the trumpet solo well, though):
    CHET BAKER - My Funny Valentine - YouTube

Keith Jarrett/Peacock/DeJohnettte:
    YouTube - My Funny Valentine Song Keith Jarrett Trio - YouTube
    I suggest that none of us are adequate arbiters of what is or is not good improvisation. We simply have opinions. In the final analysis it may simply be a matter of context and taste.

Jim