Herb Alpert song book

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BILL VAN, Mar 30, 2008.

1. BILL VAN

BILL VAN Pianissimo User

Jan 29, 2007
    Pompano Beach
    hello, I have been writing songs from Herb but I hear there is a music book in print with the transcriptions. Does anyone know where I could buy this book or know the name of the publisher? Thanks

2. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    IF you're talking about the "old" 60's stuff from the TJB...I "had" one of the original such books back in college and someone swiped it....several years ago, I went looking for it via EBay...and found another one, (same book).

Don't know about anything "newer"...but the old one is "The Deluxe Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass Music Book", published by Hanson Modern World Library No. 106a, Charles Hanson Pulbications, 1842 West Avenue, Miami Beach FL 33139. Don't see a "date" on it, but it cost a whopping $2.95 new, and I know its mid-late 60's. I sorta remember my "newer" EBay version cost me like $25.

But, its the same things I used to practice on back in college, and I use it regularly.

dizzyizzy

3. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Just love his take on "My Funny Valentine" off of his "Second Wind" CD. Herb has a lot of soul, and never says more in his solos than is needed.--HH

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I was able to talk my parents into buying that when they rented a Conn Director cornet for me. I remember well my frustration at not being able to play A above the staff, and worked my fanny off to sound like Herb--that didn't pay off until a Pops concert with a Herb Albert medely some 25 years later. People were impressed.

5. greenpeppers

greenpeppers New Friend

Mar 31, 2008
    Why is it so hard to find Herb Alpert music for trumpet? To me, it would seem like a no-brainer but all I've been able to find is full band scores for one or two songs or songbooks for piano. I've scoured the internet for anything Herb Alpert related and I come up with next to nothing. Why is this?
    I'm a beginning trumpet player but lifelong Herb fan and I'd love to be able to practice with some of his music. Is my best bet to try to find something used on Ebay? Please, any suggestions would be welcome!

6. someguy6

someguy6 New Friend

Sep 8, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Definitely check ebay.

I have a songbook I got a couple of years back, "The best of Herb Alpert". It has piano and solo trumpet parts (in the same book, but piano in front, trumpet in back.

Warner Bros Publications
    ISBN 0-8989-8181-6

18 songs (most popular HA songs)

-rob

7. greenpeppers

greenpeppers New Friend

Mar 31, 2008
    Thanks, Rob. I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything that my come down the pipe on ebay. If I uncover any other good sources for Herb sheet music, I'll be sure to share it here.

Ellen