Herbert L. Clarke.................grrrrrrr

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes, thanks for the link westview! I must log off now so I can have a read.

Wlfgng; FYI there is a free PDF copy of the book for download at the link westiew provided.

PS. Work at a speed you are comfortable with. Write down your metronome numbers in pencil next to each line. Try to increase your speed by 2 to 6 bpm each/or every couple days. Cross out the old number and write in the new number so you can see your progress. Use different mm markings for each line (mid register will probably be faster). Practice the same three or four lines every day for a week, then do the next three or four lines. When you are done with the book, start over. Keep your fingers curved and bang the valves.

My teacher finished this book four times by the time he finished high school.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    I like rowuks ideas on building speed. Learn the exercise at a speed that is comfortable and get it right. Then bang, up the speed considerably and get it right. This is actually pretty intuitive and works well.

3. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Also, I like to move on before I actually get each part up to speed. My progress was slow when I spent to much time working over and over on a part for weeks. Now I work on a section for a while, then move on to the next, even though I'm still not up to speed. Later when I return to the section, I'm surprised how I've improved. I am close to finishing the Clarke technical studies for the first time thru. Then I will start back at the beginning and do it again, faster and better. Years of work.