Here Come the Mummies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edfitzvb, Oct 21, 2014.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I have evidently been "out of the loop" for too long. A friend of mine told me about this band last summer. Fine players and I like the music a lot. The same kind of funk that I grew up with.... No rumbling bass w/rap (ugh). A lot of the material is not for polite company, but I love hearing those old-style funk horn lines. Whoever these guys are, they can play. (If you go to Youtube to listen to them, be aware that these guys write lyrics like Frank Zappa.)

2. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    Checked them out on the strength of this thread. Like the music somewhat, but honestly? I think the mummy thing is pretty bad as a gimmick.

3. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Nice tight sound!! I likee!

This from Wikipedia explains a lot:

"There are rumored to be several Grammy awards among the members,[2] though this is difficult to verify, as the identities of band members are kept "under wraps." Members are believed to be under contract to various record labels, hiding their identities so as to prevent contract disputes while performing"

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Link? Link? No stinkin' link??? 675,000 links! That's a lot of links for your mummy!!! OH GOD! I'm turning into GM!!!

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Tobylou8, Quick! Take some prescription drugs from Colorado before turning into GM!

I also had heard that they were under contractual agreements with other labels, hence the "mummy thing." I like it because the only other people playing that style of music are original guys. AND they are players.

Kinda dig some of the names.... Mummy Cass, Eddie Mummy..... had to be fun

6. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
  7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Remember "Charlie Chan?"

8. dvs cycles

dvs cycles Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2011