Here's a REAL RARE and desirable Boston cornet!

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by tom turner, Sep 11, 2004.

1. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
  2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    REAL DEEP pockets!

Oh my .....

3. Kojak

Kojak New Friend

Sep 11, 2004
    Looks like a "Schuster-Markneukirchen"
    I have have seen such modells here in Germany before-
    they where popular from about 1845-1920! Most of them came from Markneukirchen (this was Germanys Elkhart...) or the cheaper ones from Grasslitz!
    Didn´t knew they had been "modern" in the USA about 1850-1900!
    (Or did they realy built rotarys in USA???i guess they where "stencil"productions....)
    For a German collector this price seems to be terrible high-such instruments go here for about 500-750$ not more!
    Interesting,what prices are payed for "foreign" horns in the states,just because they are rare-i think,i send some of my old stuff to Amerika,to make a lot of money.... :twisted:

Greatings from Germany
    Dennis

4. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Deep Pockets....:)

Deep Pockets..... :wink:

Just the other day....I wandered into a little art gallery, here in Gig Harbor Wa.
    Behind the counter was an "original marine oil painting by Robert Massey that he painted waaaaay back in 1982 in the beginning of his art career....and today his latest paintings bring over $100,000.00 on the world market of collector marine art.
    This painting was orginally sold in 1982 for $6,500.00 and today for this lack-luster painting with many many errors and lack of painting skills, has an asking price of $82,000.00??????????????/

After spending a long career as an professional artist is still amazes me that some artists glean large sums of money like this on this painting by Mr. Massey at the beginning of his career. What I found equally unbelievable was just how much his craft and workmanship has improved and his current paintings are now coveted by the serious collectors with DEEP DEEEEP POCKETS......
    but to see that this meager painting, just because it is an ORIGINAL MASSEY is worth today........$82,000.00????????

Tom, even that old collector is awesome......but in truth, that kind of money??????
    As far as the comment who wrote that sending items to "AMERIKA" is a sure way to bring $$$$$$ to his deep pockets is not always the bottom line as most of Mr. Massey's expensive ship paintings are sold to collectors all over the world and especially in the middle east, Japan and Europe? DEEP POCKETS???? Humm? One persons trash.....truly must be another's treasure n'all that jazz.
    Personally, I AM STILL LOOKING FOR AN OLD CORNET, THAT PLAYS AND SOUND GOOD......but looks are totally unimportant!!!!! Gads! I miss that old Bessy Sov road rage horn of mine!!!!!! :(

5. Navy4Christ

Navy4Christ New Friend

Sep 19, 2007
    Missouri
    Re: Deep Pockets....:)

WoW .. I knew I came to the right place! I'm holding a Schuster & Co. Markneukirchen rotary valve that belonged to my Dad, trying to find out where the serial number would be imprinted. Not as easy to find as on other instruments. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Re: Deep Pockets....:)

I tried to get the listing and found a notice that it had been removed. Any ideas on that?

7. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    check the date of the origanal post.....9/11/04.