Heres a simple exercize

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by scaramanga, May 26, 2010.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    I have found the following exercize quite useful recently - its one of those that can be played by beginners to experts, although newer players should not go higher than their normal range - no straining.

Play long notes on C (mid stave), B, Bb etc down to F#. Strive to get a big resonant sound. Then repeat from low C to F#. Then without moving the mp, repeat from high C. Then repeat the low register again and check the sound you are making is as resonant as the first time. The idea is to check that the sound you get in each register is not effected by the other registers (so its important not to take the mouthpice away at any point - for this reason breathe thru the nose).

Hope this is useful - I found it was. We often play chromatics or scales but how often do we check for resonance in this way?

2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Resonance without "blattiness" is good! Keep control of the sound, and this is an excellent warmup exercise, I think.

Guy Clark

3. Raw_Brass_Kicks

Raw_Brass_Kicks New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    i dont know about you, but my lips dont play in the same position low c as they do high c (rolled out versus rolled in). the jump seems kind of awkward and unneccesary. I always check for resonance by playing with tuning drones.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

That's one of the main ideas Laurie Frink and John McNeil's book Flexus (at least as i've been working through it)

Makes it easier to play octave displacement lines and intervals.

5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Jake used to have me do exercises in the high range, and then drop down to the low octave and play them, trying to keep the same embouchure as I used in the high range. He said it is possible to play in the low range on the same embouchure as you use up high, but not play up high with the same embouchure as you use in the low range. (If you get what I mean.)

6. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    Yeah - that sounds simillar to Pops' idea of setting for a G on top of the stave and playing down or up with the same embouchure. Connecting the ranges in this way is important I think. But I'm mainly thinking about resonance. It sounds a bit 'zen' but I'm finding the less I actually push the louder/more resonant I am getting. Anyone else find this?

7. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    i use something similar as a warm up, i play a middle C-ff, then a bottom C-pp then back up to middle C-ff all breating through the noise, and so not to move the MP, then i do this on B, then Bb, then A

works well, meens i can pick it up and start playing withought feeling the need to warm up in the unfortunate case were i dont get a chance to warm up on gigs and stuffs :)

8. Raw_Brass_Kicks

Raw_Brass_Kicks New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    reedy, that makes perfect sense to me. Im actually under the impression that the "high notes with low embouchure" idea is why so many trumpet players struggle. Its good to work a low embouchure to go high, but one must also work their high embouchure to play low so that you have one continuous flexing (ala BE method).

9. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    yeah my teacher has started getting me to do it aver the last few months and i think its really helped if i dont get a chance to warm up, i heard once mr schilkie got his students to play a top C as the 1st note of the day!
    my teacher is also doing what i do but now hes starting on a G and doing the same. if i set the emb up right i can play some really high notes with a really good sound on my shew jazz MP and other times i cant but i can hit 4-5 notes with my vizzutti MP (my lead MP)
    some days i can set it up really well in the warm up and others i cant :S doing pretty much the same things..... strange!

10. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    This is actually my warm up. I am glad to know that I am on the right track. Right now my highest set point is an E (in the stave). I am working toward the G set point and working down. I can do it. I just can't hit the G "cleanly" without a little more warm-up.

David