here's another one...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Gentle sight-readers,

So, I took a couple of days off and decided to start with some of the melodic warm ups that I've shared with you (Jeopardy, Ms. PacMan, Yellow Bird).

Well, you can throw another one on to the pile and I dedicate it affectionately to our british Brothers and sisters.

It is the patter song from "The Pirates of Penzance" by Gilbert and Sullivan. We Yanks know it as "I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General". Go slow on this one because you'll have to be creative in terms of breathing and how to keep it moving a la Clarke's tecnical study. Don't do more than three at a shot until you really know the tune and then write it down so you always have it to refer to.

If you don't know this famous melody you can always blame your schools or your parents for not exposing you to it; your choice.

ML

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Gilbert and Sullivan I think were pushed aside in the "American" education for "Rodgers and Hammerstein and Andrew Lloyd Webber. Gilbert and Sullivan, have written some outstanding stuff -- and some very melodic stuff (as have R&H and ALW) but I am always surprised that even music majors - sometimes theatre majors, overlook their work and have not listened to it.

SImply outstanding. What a refreshing piece to add to your practice sessions! :thumbsup:

Jim

3. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    I've heard Jeopardy, but what are you other 2? :dontknow:

i've seen pirates of penzance, when our middle school did it 4 years ago.(and very poorly, even though it was middle school.

And yes, i will blame the schools
    :D

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear LP,

"I've heard Jeopardy, but what are you other 2?"

Pacman was a video game popular in the Late 70s and Ms.Pacman was a sequel that opened up with a short little tune that is as winding as a Clarke technical study. You can still find in just about any arcade.

"i've seen pirates of penzance, when our middle school did it 4 years ago.(and very poorly, even though it was middle school."

Good. I hope you remember the patter song. Incidentally, back in 1965, my fourth grade class put on a performance of same. I sang the role of Frederick and it was the first time that got to anything musical in public. Pretty damned good for a bunch of little kids, I must say. The next year my fifth grade class put on a production of Carmen! I kid you not. I sang the role of Don Jose and developed a rep for being able to sing. Anyway, those were the days in New York City when cultural diversity meant elementary school kids doing British operettas and French Opera on a Spanish subject.

We sang Woody Guthrie songs and Calypso songs in our general music classes which is where we learned "Yellow Bird", a beautiful island ballad about getting away from it all.

ML