Herseth Stories

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by dizforprez, Aug 25, 2004.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    There seems to be numerous legends, or stories, that float around about Bud Herseth. I often wonder how many of them happened exactly as told or have taken on a life of their own due to multiple retellings.

Can any of you on the board that have studied or performed with Mr. Herseth help us separate fact from fiction by telling us stories you have heard that are either true or that you know to be false?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I know what you mean. Back in the 80s when "This one time, at band camp" Maynard stories were completely off the wall.

Such as:

"Maynard plays with enough air pressure that he can blow up a car tire!"

to

"Once, Maynard's tour bus got a flat, and they hooked up a hose and he blew it back up." Seriously. I'm not joking about that one.

"Maynard plays with a microphone, but the sound men never turn it on."

"The highest note on trumpet in the world was played by Maynard. He calls it the "M" note."

"Maynard got braces and had a gap put in his teeth, just so he could play higher."

I'm sure there were more, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head. Back then, most all us were facinated with Maynard and his playing, and we were all too willing to believe virtually anything that was said about the man, no matter how utterly rediculous some of it sounds now.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Ahh, back at band camp.

I don't remember much of those rumors. For one, our lead trumpet player dreamed of playing with Ferguson and knew the facts (he eventually did play with MFO for seven years).

More importantly, I was madly in love with the first clarinet player. I did not spend my free time "talking shop" but instead gave my baritone chops a bit more of a workout :wink:

It would be interesting to hear directly from people who interacted with Bud Herseth!

My friend who played with Maynard actually spends quite a bit of his time dispelling rumors -- especially in interviews.

Jim

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    A CLARINET!? Dude, you're brass, she was woodwind, I mean...that's just disappointing... :p

Yeah, rumors abound on just about anyone who is famous in anything. That's kinda why I have started reading here, to see what's actual and what's fictional.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    here is a story I heard just the other day:

The recording of Herseth doing the Haydn was done in two takes straight down, after the recording session for Mahler 3.

fact or fiction?

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Hey, when you are in High School, you're not that picky. Actually she was quite the girl and we ended up going to prom together. I left for college and she got upset that I went several states away. So it goes. Actually today, we are good friends. I ended up marrying a pastor with a music degree from UCLA. She plays piano (everyone needs an accompanist :wink: ).

Back in the day of green leisure suits, three inch platform shoes, and the Carpenters on the radio. Ahh, the early 70s. I think I was the only person on our HS Golf Team that wasn't doing LSD. Boy, am I glad those days are gone --- now all you have to worry about is Gansta' Rap and Meth labs :roll:

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I don't know, but that seems reasonable at least (at least if you have an "S" is on your chest) -- much more so than Maynard blowing up a bus tire. :shock: