Hessions Sessions Guide to consistent, reliable and sometimes, Invincible Chops!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gstoole, Sep 12, 2007.

1. gstoole

gstoole Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2006
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Does anybody use this book? Can someone provide a brief review?

Thanks

2. Dustin

Dustin Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2006
    West Virginia
    I have this book, and though I haven't worked from it extensively, I have a pretty good understanding of what he's looking for. Most of his exercises are set for 60 bpm, and a few at 120. He starts the book out with pedal tones and breathing exercises. From there he goes on into a lot of chromatic scales and lip slurs, some lip trill exercises, etc. Every time he writes anything extremely high, he makes it very clear that you're not expected to play as written, but only to your ability. He gives very clear directions before all his exercises, and puts a lot of emphasis on breathing and only using as much air as you need. Very fun and interesting book, and I'd like to study it a lot more than I have in the past.

3. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    I have it and have taken a lesson from him on the particulars of his method. It's a good approach, but so are Odneal's and others. To sustain notes in the extreme upper register, you simply have to have a well supported high velocity air stream and the embouchure coordination to create the aperture. So, I think different methods may work better for some people based on where they are starting from.
    The bottom line on the Hessions book is to learn to control the airstream - in and out - in strict meter. He strongly emphasizes the requirement to use the metronome with all of the exercises because he feels that is key to really learning control.
    He's one of the many nice guys out there that sincerely wants to help others improve their playing.

pat