Hey, about the silent brass

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by BPhelmet, Dec 27, 2004.

1. BPhelmet

BPhelmet New Friend

Nov 6, 2004
    i am thinking about buying one for my trumpet so i can practice more often, is it good? does it really work? how well it works?

2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Yeah, they work great. Buy it off of E-Bay though or you're really going to get hosed. I bought mine off E-Bay for $70, one of the older models where you could plug in a CD player and use 'play along' traks. They're good, they are quiet, just don't use them all of the time!

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I don't like these things at ALL. The sound you get through the headphones bears little to no relation to the sound you would actually be producing without the mute. However, if you really can't practice enough "open", then I suppose it would be a help.

4. BPhelmet

BPhelmet New Friend

Nov 6, 2004

what you mean by "just don't use them all of the time" ?

5. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    The mute increases the resistance and tends to cut back on your upper register (around G above the staff and above). The other thing is that you aren't playing like you would with the mute out. Some folks have wound up with some bad playing habits from using the mute too much. Habits such as not enough air support, poor posture etc.

As for the guy with the headphone problem, replace the headphones! I sound just like I do on a recording or in a practice room. You may also not be moving the master volume up enough or putting enough reverb on.

Anyway, I like mine and use it whenever I'm traveling. I have to or you'd see me getting hauled off for disturbing the peace---I just have waaay to much volume and power for any motel room. :D

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hiya - yeah the headphones that come with it are awful! I find that even with good headphones (Sennheisers) the sound is still no good. I guess that's inevitable given that the mute is stopping your bell from vibrating properly.

Maybe it's just me.

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Regarding the Silent Brass,

I've tried it twice at this point at it seems that the tried and true tour practice method of finding a boiler room, ball room, conference room somewhere removed is best. For those who live in apartments, I guess there's not a lot of choice if you can't stay within the agreed upon time schedule for daytime trumpet playing.

I can't say that I'm a big fan at this point. The resistance is too disconcerting and the sound of a digital trumpet just doesn't sit well with me.

Well, what do you expect from an old fart?

ML

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I don't like them either. You might as well put a cork in your bell.

(Coming from a "Young Fart")

;-)

M.

9. BPhelmet

BPhelmet New Friend

Nov 6, 2004
    some people say the resistence is good for endurence, is it ture?

10. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    No, resistance is not good for endurance. Endurance is not about overcoming resistance as it is about training your chops to play long passages. Playing long etudes is where you get your endurance.

Anyway, buy one of the Silent Brass off E-Bay, don't pay too much for it, and use it sparingly. It's another great tool to add to the arsenal. :-)