Hey ! Am i normal as a new trumpet player ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JD_93, Apr 4, 2009.

1. JD_93

JD_93 New Friend

Apr 4, 2009
    Je viens du Québec :p

2. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Qu'est ce que tu aime faire?

3. JD_93

JD_93 New Friend

Apr 4, 2009
    J'aime jouer de la musique, je jou plusieurs instrument
    Je jou du piano, de la guitare, du violon, de la trompette, de la flute traversiere, du saxophone et de la batterie, et j'adore le hockey et le judo !

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    So for me you are not only a fellow trumpet player, tu es aussi un cousin d'Amerique : Bienvenue sur TM !

5. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Haha, I might try some of that French stuff, mais je suis tres mal.
    J'habite a New York. Right south of you.

6. JD_93

JD_93 New Friend

Apr 4, 2009
    Cool, if you need some help just P.M me :)

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    After 2 years, a decent routine and 30-60 minutes per day, should allow you to play up to C above the staff without too much trouble and with decent tone and articulation.

Generally it is impossible to predict how dedicated a student is going to be, whether they really do what the teacher says, stick to a "boring" routine or look for a thousand shortcuts. Another common problem is only practicing what you can already play.

Not reaching these goals does not make you abnormal, it just means that there is plenty of room for improvement in breathing and technique. Funny enough, when the routine is solid, all aspects of playing mature. Not necessarily at the same speed though. We need to practice the things that we can't play. That is the way that we get better!

8. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I've been playing for a year and a half and my high C is just starting to come in. I want it solid by the time jazz camp rolls around this summer and it seems like I'm going to be able to get there.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    practice softly, do not be afraid of letting the high range sound thin at first. DO NOT FORCE THE ISSUE. Testosterone has messed up many a face!

10. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Like mine, Mr. Robin. :)