Hey Baby, It's Cold Outside

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Tootsall, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    For all you folks who have to suffer with heat and humidity... here is a cut and paste from today's weather forecast for my neighbourhood.

Quote:

Wind chill warning in effect.
    Tonight..Periods of light snow ending this evening then cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries overnight. Wind 15 km/h. Low minus 34. Extreme wind chill minus 43.
    Thursday..Sunny. Wind becoming west 20 km/h in the afternoon. High minus 24. Extreme wind chill minus 45.

Unquote:

Uhh. those are degrees Celsius. -45ºC = (drum roll) -49ºF. "Put another dog on the fire......."

Guess I'll be driving to work on square tires tomorrow morning. You folks who also live and love in cold climates know what I mean.

2. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Haha......We hit 84F this past weekend!!! It was about 75F today. I love Texas :bleah:

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Severe Thunderstorm here ... with record rainfall and flooding.

Take a look: http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=2790345&nav=0RZFV2Ev

It was eerie band rehearsal last night. We meeting in the "old dam" building on the Ohio river. They built a new dam about a mile up the road. Hence, the name of the band is "The Old Dam Band" -- clever eh? What is worse is I am the director :shock:

Last night the waves were lapping up against the bottom step of the building. Usually the river is about 15 feet below the steps. As we walked out, we could see and hear the river right at our feet.

The rest of the state is flooded. But hey, it is warm. We are under a severe thunderstorm warning until morning. Thunderstorms in January. For a guy who grew up in the mountains of Colorado, this seems very weird.

People here think that 20 degrees F is cold. Ha! I am with you Ed .. the cold is not so bad. We had two solid weeks in Colorado where the high never reached above -10 F. Square tires indeed.

Jim

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    5 below here this morning.Supposed to get down to 15 below tonight and stay below zero for a couple of days.

Heh heh.......They can always tell when it gets cold for a while. A bunch of new babies 9 months from now :lol:

5. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Ed, Given your engineering background I guess you are considering leaving your horns outside to get a 'Poor Mans Cryogenic Treatment' ;-)

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Bill, the problem is that I have to play one of them tonight at rehearsal. I was going to put the MR in the house this morning but forgot. Maybe that's a good thing... perhaps it would be the equivalent of "heat treatment in reverse" and start to sound funny.

Besides, ANOTHER cryo treatment would be redundant... they got their last one (cryo) the day before.

re: square tires..... at least radials have some give to them... remember when we had to drive on bias ply? Now THOSE suckers would really get square... and stay that way for about 30 miles.

7. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I think I may go play golf today :bleah:

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Groan... Present weather status
    "-39°C
    A few clouds
    FEELS LIKE -51°C
    WIND W 11 km/h
    GUSTS
    RELATIVE HUMIDITY 65%
    DEWPOINT -43°C
    PRESSURE 103.92 kPa
    VISIBILITY 24 km
    CEILING unlimited "

-51C..... -60ºF

Hit a golf ball at that temperature and either it or the club head will shatter like glass.

Oh well, it's a "dry cold"... doesn't feel that bad. Just don't stand outside for more than 15 seconds and you might survive. I can hear violins cracking in the low humidity!

9. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    The high for Friday here in good ole Ioway is supposed to be...

5 degrees F.

I do not like winter!
    :twisted:

Lara

10. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    nice picture, silverstar.
    yes, it's supposed to get down to -20ish overnight. might cancel school, that's a HUGE maybe. haven't had one since 3rd? grade(6 years ago). and last late start we had was 7th grade (2 years ago)