Hey Bach strad players, help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fluffy615, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hello fellow TM'ers. I've read so much on here about the horns that Felix makes at his New York Trumpet Company that I can't wait for Nov. 9th in NYC at the Brass Conference's Trumpet Friday to try some of them. I've read on here that they play much better than a Bach. I play a Bach Strad 43 ML. Are there any former Bach users out there that have switched to, or tryed one of Felix's horns? I would really like to hear your opinions. I know full well that there is no magic horn or mouthpiece that will make me sound like my idols, but if I can make sounding as good as I can sound any easier it's worth a try.
    Bob

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bob,
    to be fair to all parties, when you buy a horn from Felix, it is not a mass produced one size fits all device. It is made for YOU and has a much different quality control. Because of that, they are a bit more expensive (but still very reasonable!). Bach as a mass produced trumpet does have a greater tolerance in what is acceptable! If you can hand pick yours, you can find one that is quite exceptional!

I am sure that you will only hear VERY positive reactions. My advice is to get into direct contact with Felix though. Maybe the beginning of a very professional relationship!

3. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks Robin,
    I guess I'm just looking for a general comparison right now. I've always been happy with my Bach. Every new trendy horn that I've heard about over the years really never impressed me enough to want to make a switch. I guess I just want to see if these horns do. I hope to see Felix on Nov. 9th in NYC. I would have to do a lot of research before I talked about a custom horn. I really don't know much about the technical things that I've seen people discuss on here. I'll have to play them all to really judge.
    Bob

4. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Bob,
    It will be my pleasure to assist you and meet you in person.
    I'll have about 15 horns on display at the show,plus some of my Artists are going to be there to answer questions as well.
    Lots of fun.:)

Felix

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    What's happening november 9?

6. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
  7. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    That's great Felix thanks, I was hoping that you would be there. I'm really looking forward to trying out your horns.
    Bob

8. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I've been playing a Bach Strad for about 30 yrs...and the same one for about 25 of those. (lightweight..72 bell..large bore...silver)

The short and sweet of it is...I first tried some of Felix's horns about 2 years ago. These were terrific playing horns (tuning/ease of play), but I just didn't find one (there were only about 3-4 models back then) that knocked me out - sound wise - out of the 2 I got to try. Go figure. Robin's point is valid to insert here...I only played 2 models that were NOT customized for ME...just what was available. Fast forward to now. Felix has tons of models and I've been fortunate enough to get to toy with gobs of options. He has a great test horn he'll have with him at this festival that will allow you to try 4 different tuning slides and 4 different bells. AND...these still aren't the only options he has available!!! (lead pipes...etc). Regardless, you will have some fun with what he will bring.

Oh...back to your REAL question. I just finished playing 32 shows (the Rat Pack is Back) with the California light (with a squared tuning slide and Rose Brass bell). I am totally sold. I did not even think about switching back to my Bach. I truly thought I wouldn't say that, but I had an absolute ball. This Stage 1 horn was soooo easy to play. It just floated effortlessly wherever you wanted to go. This particular bell had a great, gritty, fat sound that was perfect for this show.

I agree with Robin...that you can certainly find some great horns out there (including sifting thru and finding some great Bach tpts). However, with the quality, choices and service you can and will get from Felix...you will end up with an instrument truly designed for YOU to help you create the sound and feel you want...right off the bat.

Best of luck to you, Bob. I hope you enjoy the festival and please write back after you'd had a chance to meet Felix and play these horns. Mine has been a terrific experience.

PS>>> one more thing. You mentioned not knowing about all the technical mumbo-jumbo that goes into a horn to make it play better. Don't worry...Felix does. ha. I saw him work with a guy at a festival where he knew just what to add (in this case, it was another tuning slide made out of a different material that did the trick) to make things work great for that person. He surprised a lot of folks that day.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  9. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks Brad! That's what I was looking for. Someone like me that never found anything he liked better than his Bach. I don't know if I'll be able to afford whatever I come up with, but I'm sure it will be fun trying. Maybe I'll buy myself a christmas present!
    Bob
    P.S. That show must have been fun to play. That was some great music.

10. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Yes, Bob...that show was a ton of fun. Great charts..incredible band...cast... man. Most fun any of us have had. (I'll see if I can get a vid up some time...) Even with all this great stuff going for it, it "could" have been a drag with a sub par horn. This Stage 1 was an equal part of making this a gas to play.
    Never had a tuning issue...this was PERFECT. Add in the total ease of the blow (this horn lived to ascend....)... I was totally surprised.

I've tried and bought a few horns inbetween owning my Bach. (thank goodness I held onto it and didn't trade it!!!). I sold them all since. This Stage 1?? Like I said...I never even thought of putting it down. It was too much fun.