Hey Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Veldkamp, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I found some clips with the Hey horns (Jerry Hey, Gary Grant) in action. What a great section!

(check my blog for links)

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Not the response you want –sorry.

It is insulting to see the talents in that horn section playing high school level horn licks backing up very average vocalists. They play the heck out of them, but the real talent in the video is in the band, not the vocalists who take center stage.

3. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    :-o

Those so called high school licks (?) are most likely written by Jerry Hey himself. The Hey horns played and recorded with lots of singers like David Foster. So if you want to insult Jerry's choices to work with, go ahead....:dontknow:

I only posted the links for the Hey horns, not for the singers. I don't know that many videos were you can hear and see them. So if you know better stuff to show, be my guest.

I got this tip from one of the best section player in Holland. He sure liked them...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  4. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Very true veldkamp,
    these videos are sometimes the only way to see people great horn sections oscar brashear, michael ramlee,george bohanan.
    and other,s......not to mention the major dollars there clocking! how much did you clock last year band man?

peace my bratha!

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Randy Brecker, one of the greats!

Holy Sizzlin' Saxophones Batman! I can't believe I listened to two 4 minute sax solos on the edge of my chair.

Michael Brecker is phenomenal with a capital EFFIN

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Insulting to who??? You obviously don't know the genre. That a great section playing licks that fit the music. Really tight!! That's what it's supposed to be.

Dave

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    You all are missing the point. Dump the vocalists and let the horn line rip. That is an all-star section. It sure would be nice to hear them play by themselves.

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Only problem; horn lines by themselves don't generate any money these days.

You need the chick singer in front of the band. Doesn't matter if she can sing. All it takes is a nice set of ta-tas........

(Britney, Mariah, et al).................

9. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    That is exactly my point! I hate the fact that the talent in most bands is not the headliner. Instead the star is someone who simply has a (how did you put it?) "nice set of ta-tas".

10. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I know many top players who are doing this kind of shows next to more rewarding (musically) jobs. The best studio players in Holland are playing in the Metrople Orchestra and next to that playing with this kind of singers. Even the Metropole Orchestra are working a lot with "less talented" singers next to their projects with Bill Holman, Vince Mendoza, Herbie Hancock, etc. That's why the orchestra still excists after 60 year!

If you want to hear great horn stuff without chick singers, buy a old record of the Tower of Power or E,W & F or Michael Jackson (before he became a chick singer...)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006