Hey Larry, do you know anything about this horn??

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Jazzman, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
  2. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Calicchio trumpet ( ???? ) on E-bay

Jazzman,

Well, this is what I get from looking at the pictures of this trumpet on E-bay.

1) Right off the bat, there is not any Calicchio Trumpets with serial numbers between 3100 and 3999. (There is a long and funny story why that is, but that’s another topic)

2) Calicchio number 3099 was sold in Nov.1983 and Sn 4000 was made in sold in Feb 1984, Dominic died in 1979 and his trumpes were being made by Dominic’s three man crew ( all brothers ) and Irma Calicchio.

3) Dominick Calicchio moved to Los Angeles in early 1949. The earliest Cal. trumpet I have is Sn. 1434 made in the late 40's > It originally had a “ Superior Bell “ and a standard leadpipe that had a “ Benge-ish “ reciever ( straight flair with one ring on each end )

4) Most of the New York Bells have " Superior " in big, block letters in the shape of a diamond, but Dominic did make other Calicchio stamped bells for intermediate and student horns ( the Zebra, Rainbow and Bel-Air models ) and these models also have the model “ name “ stamped on the bell. I haven’t scene any Calicchio’s that have an “ engraving “ type logo like this one.

5) Dominic worked for Rudy Muck before opening his own shop and this could be a Rudy Muck trumpet ( or some other similar era trumpet ) with some sort of NY Calicchio Bell, ( I’ll give the seller the benefit of the doubt on the bell portion of the discussion ) plus it doesn’t have the D. Calicchio on the valve casing ( from the pictures ) that I can see.

6) The outer slide of the leadpipe looks much simplier( modern ) than the ornate bottom outer slide of the tuning slide suggesting the leadpipe is not original, ( which means the liqueur is not original ) or the leadpipe and bell was supplied to the maker of the body or vice versa, supplied to Dominic to install a leadpipe and bell on. The leadpipe and bell, visually look to be Calicchio’s, but the body ( valve section ) does not, plus the missing third valve ring holder looks more likely to be a “lyre holder “ insert , ( suggesting again a different brand body ) not for a third valve ring because it doesn’t appear to be connected / soldered ( the square tubing with the flange and set-screw ) to the part of the slide that would move.

My guess would be that this is a different manufactures body ( Muck, Couesnon, etc ) body , with a Calicchio leadpipe and possible a Calicchio bell ( engraved with the person’s name as a gift ). There are some counterfeit Calicchio bells and trumpets out there, but you would think a counterfeiter would do a better job of getting the details right.

Look at the finger buttons and the slide stop on the first valve slide. These are not everyday Calicchio style. I do have a 1960 Calicchio, with stops on the first and third slides, but they look to be Benge styles parts and at that time, Eldon Benge was in Burbank and could have supplied Calicchio with stops. Calicchio usually use the screw -pin style first and third slide stop like the Schilke and Yamaha's.

Maybe someone can ask the sellar for any bore markings on the trumpet or other stampings. But I would say , if you want a real Calicchio, vintage or other wise, to stay away from this one. Also, the valves would be nickel plating over copper plating , if this was a real NY Calicchio. ( you would see “ brownish-red “ strips showing were the nickel would be wearing away if the valves have never been re-plated. )

The valves pistons also use an exterior spring, that slips over the top of the valve's top half ,( were the interior bach spring is set) , horizontal valve guide and this section of the piston also has a small hole ( 1/16" ) drilled in it, under where the exterior spring sits and compresses. Dominic used to use this hole to hang the valves in the plating tank. The valves are just numbered 1,2 and 3.

Larry