Hey, Someone talk to me lol High School Lead Jazz Trumpet

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by RoyalFlush, Apr 27, 2004.

1. RoyalFlush

RoyalFlush New Friend

Apr 27, 2004
    Ohio
    Hey, I'm new, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a High School guy, I play trumpet, anywhere and everywhere I can get to, which isn't many places lol. I can hit F above the staff on a good day, D above the staff if not. I play on a Getzen Capri. Come talk to me lol. :shock:

2. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Hi,

Well I encourage you to continue playing whenever and wherever you can. Your "higher is better" quote is potentially a problem. This is my opinion and please bear in mind that I want to help, not discourage you.

Yes, high notes are exciting! I'll agree with you there. Please know that most trumpet playing is below High C. So try to develop musically and focus on your sound. A strong upper register will come to you with proper practice and guidance from a good private teacher. You're still young and have plenty of time for building a strong upper register.

Also listen to as many trumpet players in different styles. Especially Clifford Brown. Yes, I am a huge MF fan too. So go practice! :)

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Time for the old joke

"Driver, how do I get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice, son... practice."

4. RoyalFlush

RoyalFlush New Friend

Apr 27, 2004
    Ohio
    LOL thanx for the reply. I know all about the "Higher is Better" problem. I just put that cause I love what I do. I am a pretty good all around player. I'm not saying I'm some child prodigy, but I'm good. High notes are fun. There's nothing quite like the feeling of ripping an F above the staff at a performance. I have "All of Me" to thank for that lol.

5. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Hey, welcome. I'm a lead player also, and live by "Higher, Faster, Louder" .....when I'm in that setting (i.e Jazz Band, Marching Band) Other times I turn it off (unless I'm hangin out with Josh a.k.a ScreaminTrumpet)
    Just keep in mind that just playing the high stuff will actually hurt your playing in the end. Learn to control that skill. Sorry, didn't mean to preach. Glad you came to TM. I haven't been here that long, but It has been great. See ya around.

JGW

6. kdawg

kdawg New Friend

Nov 19, 2003
    welcome to the TM,
    i'm a Sr. in HS and within the last 6 months i've discovered my "high" chops. there really is nothing like nailing that high F at the end of a concert is there? I've been playing lead for my HS for 2 years now, and lead for the college jazz band for a year now, and it's fun. I'm finding that with jazz, you really need to pay attention to articulation and time. Once you get good, try to focus on playing the correct style. I'm having a hard time switching between lead and the hummel. surprisingly, clark stuff lays down nicely. another thing about being a lead player is you have to be rock solid. The rest of the band keys off of you and if you're swingin', they will too. Good luck and have fun!

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Unless it's a concert band and the director didn't have a clue you'd do it :roll: :roll: Ah well, it was my last high school concert, anyway.