Hey Thin Lip People...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by y-o-y, Nov 16, 2009.

1. highcisimpossible

highcisimpossible New Friend

Feb 10, 2010
    That video is "not playing" . It did not sound very smooth to me. And at the end he is pressing like hell. Pushing the limited flesh together. Looking like he was constipated with air. Thats not how i want to play. PLUS the guy has got thicker lips than me. I can play a C in the style that guy has just played and its not the way I want to sound. He did not seem like he was playing with ease.I don't care who he is.Plus I would also want to know how reliable his playing is over a month if he plays like that everyday. One video clip like that proves nothing. And may i remind you I am not saying that there are" not successful thin lipped players." I am saying that fatter lipped players far out number thinner lipped players :that it is easier to play a horn on fatter lips because you have more margin of error. I can play the C if I need to . BUT never with a technique that will allow me to play it again the next day or repeatedly. I bet that guy on that video there did not do that the next day. You can see tooo much effort for that to work regularly. Sorry just not convinced by what I have read hear.

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Google his name, and you'll see that he does play like that all day, and the next day too. (or at least did 30 years ago) He played in Maynard Ferguson's band for a while... and whatever doesn't sound smooth is probably just the recording equipment.
    look for other video's of him.

3. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Maybe with a botox injection he could have been one of the greats. Oh wait, guess he was.

4. highcisimpossible

highcisimpossible New Friend

Feb 10, 2010
    No you are missing the point my friend, I am saying that a fatter lipped player is more likely to achieve success than a thinner lipped player. I can sit all night and list successful medium/fat lipped players. Surely Marsalis is the trump card????Just not convinced at all. A friend who plays cornet has played for 30 years and cannot play out of the stave. His lips just a little fatter than mine. Has the odd day . It is wrong to list a few names and say therefore anyone can do it. I think you will find the truth of it is there are many people out there who are like me. Sure fat lipped players have problems. I am not saying that. BUT they are more likely to over come them as they have the apparatus to play.Certainly all the pictures on the cds and records I have here beside me all the guys have a got a set of lips. Its the same as a small handed pianist is going to have to work a lot harder than a pianist with a wide hand span. Sorry not convinced. (any one got any botox)

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Dunno where the Botox thing came from but it's not going to help. Botox paralyzes muscles, it is used by narcissistic people to decrease the tension causing wrinkles. It would be detrimental to anyone's playing.

My experience is exactly the opposite of yours. I have exactly the same range problem, and thick lips. Almost everyone gets that problem. The range above G is difficult to obtain. It takes better than lots of practice. It takes intelligent, well balanced practice. It seemed to be totally impossible to overcome until I started paying attention to breathing, the throat, proper resting time and everything that's not lip shape. Then some progress slowly started to happen. It's an ongoing process and a difficult one. 3 steps forward, 2 back, then 1 back again then 1 forward, etc etc. I don't know how far I'll be able to go but I have no doubt that my lip type has nothing to do with it. Jaw shape/muscles are certainly more important.

I met plenty of thin lip players in marching bands and community bands who had better range than me and I though that their lip shape gave them an advantage. Now I am skeptical thayt any lip shape gives an advantage. I seriously doubt that there is any real evidence out there in favor of one type over another.

6. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    It comes from me just having too much fun with this thread. Sorry. I'll be quiet now. :shhh:

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey, I imagine 90 percent of the guys on this forum would gladly swap for Lynn Nicholson's chops. I saw him when he was with Maynard. A real horse.

8. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I also saw him with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis band, back in 1976 at the Elmhurst Jazz Festival. He could not have been more than 20 years old at the time. It looked to me like he played with very little pressure. Check out 2:05 into this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMc_MyOR0dg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  9. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    And here I was thinking I was the only one struggling to get comfortably out of the staff! For a while I though it was the thickness of my lips, that some how the extra tissue makes for more challenges with control and tightening etc. I'm not sure though. What I have recognized is that my breathing process is still not properly in tune with the trumpet; I dont contract my lips towards the mouthpiece as I ascend, instead I stretch back and upwards as I climb and then lose everything (Only started trying to push towards the mp tonight and I can see its gonna take a WHOLE LOT OF WORK!!); I also recognize that I dont have enough control over my tongue level and a keen sense of what is going on with it.

All that said, I believe it is failure to get these three areas working correctly, not just by themselves but with each other, that is causing my failure above the staff. Hopefully over the next few months I can get some positive results. If anyone got ideas, by all means, share 'em, thanks.

Darrien

10. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    1)nice pics all around
    2) to my main point which is point 3
    3)Now trumpet And frenchy attracts two different personalities as we all agree. personally I see it as natural embochure, I mean mpcs are made in different sizes for your personal comfort on what your playing.Ive always been told since last year I have a natural french horn embochure, but my director will never let me switch because im one of his good players. However ive always wanted to try it, but im hooked on trumpet and its concertos, and screamers etc. So yeah :dontknow: