Hey Trumpeterb, How's that Zeus Olympus?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by gzent, Dec 4, 2003.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Andy,

Since you own the new Zeus Olympus, could you give us your
    opinion of your horn in these areas?

Thanks!
    Greg

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Response

2. Intonation checked with a tuner and with other horns if possible

3. Slotting all registers

4. Sound

5. Projection

6. Overall playability

7. Construction

8. Comparative (compare it to your own horn or horns)

9. If played with others or on gigs comments on blending with others.

10. Mouthpiece(s) used during testing.

Please add any other comments of interest when you make your report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Here are my thoughts.

1. Response: The horn responds much better than my Bach, Yamaha and my Zeus G. I especially am impressed with the response in the very extreme dynamics. I have not been able to overblow the horn, and attacks at very soft dynamics are easier.

2. Intonation: Better than the other horns as well, although the Yamaha played similarly in tune. Normal trumpet tendancies are still present, but much easier to control with the chops.

3. Slotting: The slots are even throughout most of the horn. I have some trouble in the extreme upper register (above high G) with slotting, but a buddy of mine plays this register with ease on the horn. To each his own, I guess. It is my experience that the Zeus G is a better lead horn for me at least, but the Olympus is a better section or Jazz horn.

4. Sound: Velvet....smooth.....dark.....gorgeous. More difused than the Zues G, Yamaha, and Bach, but still a nice core to the sound.

5. Projection: Not a problem....trust me....this horn takes as much air as you can give it, and projects very well.

6. Overall Playability: Great playing horn. Very flexible, but centered.

7. Construction: Well put together. Braces are neat, valves are solid, bell is well made, etc. No problems.

8. Comparative: to the Bach 72: Olympus plays much more in tune. Bach as a brighter sound, Olympus has a darker sound. Valves are equally good on both horns. Bach has more resistance, Olympus is more open.

to the Yamaha 6335: Intonation is similar. Olympus projects much better, and has more "character" to the sound than the Yamaha. Olympus valves are nicer, I think.

to the Zeus G (scratch brush laquer finish): Intonation is similar. Zeus G has much more resistance, Olympus is much more open. Olympus is much darker sounding to my ear. More flexability on the Olympus. Slots are more defined on the Zeus G in the upper register, at least to me. Valves feel identical.

9. Gigs/rehearsals/etc.: I play with a big band near Pittsburgh, and I also play with a horn rock band in Youngstown Ohio. I used it with both. I also play in a faculty brass quintet at a local college. I was playing the 2nd book with the big band, and the horn was awesome! It blended very well, projected very well, and sounded great on the solo stuff (if I do say so myself :wink: ). The horn rock book is more like lead trumpet stuff. It played ok with this group, but I like the Zeus G better for this type of stuff. The G has a brighter sound that cuts better for the lead work, and the upper register plays easier for me on the G. I also think the Zeus G mic's better than the Olympus. I use the Olympus with the brass quintet exclusively now. The other trumpet player is playing a Bach, and the two horns compliment each other well. When play individually, there is a difference in sound, but when played together, they blend very well. I believe that I will use the Olympus for my "legit" setup from now on. I guess I am glad I own both horns, as each are good instruments, and each one serves its purposes.

10. Mouthpieces used: Brass Quintet: Laskey 81D/Bach 1C
    Big Band: Stork Studio Master 2
    Horn Rock Band: Monette BL

I hope this information is helpful. Happy playing, and happy holidays everyone.

Andy

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    doesn't the .470 make you tired?

4. Zachary Music

Zachary Music New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    It depends what kind of shape you are in James.
    My Suzy keeps me in shape so the .470 is a piece of cake :lol:

5. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    So far the .470 has not made me extremely tired. I have had pretty good success with it to this point.

6. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    WOW!! :shock: What a review!

And just to think...I was next on the list to try this bad mama...before it was sold!! :cry:

Sounds like a fantastic horn!! Can't wait to try one!

Blessings,