Hey UK guys: Manchester United!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Anonymous, May 13, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I noticed we have alot of UK posters on here.

Question:

Are you guys pissed an American now owns your SOCCER aka "football" team :bleah:

2. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    The fans are absolutely gutted!

I don't think it's anything to do with Glazer being an American, it's because he had to borrow a huge amount of money to buy it, and he seems to have enough shares now to transfer that debt from himself to the club. One of Manchester United's biggest advantages has been that it was entirely debt free. I've just seen on the news that the debt will be about 40 (yes, forty!) times last years total sales.

There's also a worry that Glazer will just treat it as a money making machine and not care about the football. Others may thing that Manchester United Football Club has been doing that for the last 20 years....

I'm not a MUFC fan though, so it doesn't upset me too much. I enjoy a good game, but I wouldn't class myself as a football fan particularly. My wife was brought up as a Luton Town fan though. You probably haven't heard of them.

Is America the only country in the world that calls it 'soccer'?

Rich.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    No.

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Couldn't care less - it's a club that makes money as a business, rather than a football club for the fans.

5. gtownlead

gtownlead New Friend

Jan 29, 2005
    One less serious competitor for Arsenal. Gunners Kick a$$

6. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    It was called soccer here in the UK before TV took it onboard in the 50s......certainly here in Wales we called it soccer when I was a kid otherwise it may have become mixed up with the real game of football..... RUGBY..... :D :D

7. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    Alan,

I can't remember the '50s, but I'll take your word for it ;-). I wasn't brought up with either game, but I enjoy watching both. My brother in law (die-hard Bath fan) took me and a few others to see the finals of the Heiniken Cup a couple of years ago at the Millenium Stadium. Now that was fun.

Rich.

8. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    I live in Manchester (although I'm not a huge Man U fan). I do think it is a reall terrible idea though to let someone like Glazer, who seems to want to just make money, own probably the most famous football club in the world. He will be saddling a proud, debt free club ( and there aren't many of them around these days) with an absolutely colossal amount of debt, just to try and make himself richer. A debt many times more than the clubs annual income. Does he care about football? Does he understand football? probably not. The fans of Man U are completely outraged as are many fans from some of Man U's biggest rival clubs. Why, because if Glazer can take over Man U then other 'outsiders' could take over their clubs easier. And if this happens, putting some of the 'smaller' clubs in to that sort of debt could see them folding.

9. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    Yes, because our "Titans," men of men, play the real sport of football. Soccer is a co-ed sport in our country. :cool:

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Interesting that these "manly men" make sure they wear full body armour before they even venture on to the pitch... ;) :lol: