Hi from Texas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Susie, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Susie

Susie New Friend

Dec 31, 2012
    Near Cleburne, TX
    I've been meaning to join your group for awhile now. I'm a comeback player...went at least 12 years without playing at all. David over at David's Instruments in Dallas, TX, resurrected my 1979-1980 LA Benge trumpet for me. I spent about 1 1/2 years working back up to my former self (still not quite there) before I had the guts to play with a local regional orchestra. I've played three concerts with the orchestra and my confidence has come back quite a bit. This past summer I volunteered with the local marching band and still do occasional sectionals with the High School and Junior High kids. I have a few private trumpet and French Horn students at the Junior High (the band director talked me into learning the French Horn last summer, which I actually like). Band program there is not what I'm used to, but the new band director is really turning things around. Anyway, thought I'd introduce myself!

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Welcome to TM! You'll probably find this site more than usefull, as long as you keep out, or limit your time in the Lounge :lol:. How was your playing before your stop? Just curious, what you all did, because after a 12 years stop, and than already giving lessons after 9 months is impressive, then you've worked hard.

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Susie...Welcome to TM. I understand that Texas is a hotbed of musical activity. Frankly, we need more representation there. YOU GO GIRL! Best wishes.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM, enjoy your stay.

5. Susie

Susie New Friend

Dec 31, 2012
    Near Cleburne, TX
    Ha ha - I'll stay away from the Lounge then! To try and answer your question...at my pinnacle (in high school I suppose) I was in All State Jazz Band & the El Paso Youth Symphony. During my first year of college at Texas Tech, I did marching & symphonic. After that, I went into engineering as my major, so I just played in Tech's jazz bands for fun and stress relief. I think my highest note was an E above high C. I was not much of a screamer. My sound & sight-reading ability *were* my best features. Now I'm old & tired and have mommy-brain. Lol Well like I said, the band program at my daughter's school (she hasn't started band yet) was seriously lacking before they hired a new band director recently. It's a rural AA Title 1 school with few resources. The band director teaches HS band, JH band, *and* helps with choir. They completely cut the choir teacher's position last year. The new "assistant" band director is really a choir education major (and had no marching experience until this summer) and helps with JH and HS band, as well as doing JH and HS choir. So these two guys are doing the jobs of multiple people. Very few parents believe in shelling out $$ for private lessons either, so the level of playing does not compare to the big high schools from more affluent areas. Almost anyone who could play at all would be a help to these kids! Anyway, thanks for the compliment on my hard work...it's been tough but I think the worst is over...Lol

6. Susie

Susie New Friend

Dec 31, 2012
    Near Cleburne, TX
    Thanks, Larry for the well wishes and encouragement. You have a nice horn collection there!

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM, Susie. I hope you will find much of value here. I certainly have. Am I correct in understanding that there are many disadvantaged youngsters in the school where you volunteer? I ask because there are many generous souls here on TM.
    Jim

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Confidence (AND Motivation) is what it takes. You keep this going, you'll be around here for a long time... That AND of course ignoring Kingtrumpet posts.

9. Susie

Susie New Friend

Dec 31, 2012
    Near Cleburne, TX
    Thanks, Jim. It's an interesting mix of very disadvantaged kids mixed with other kids who are there by choice (the district gets an Exemplary rating every year and actually has students transferring into it). I think the past band director (he'd been there for decades) had very low expectations, so the parents' expectations are just beginning to change with the new band directors' energy. I'll let you know if the kids need anything. I know they are trying to scrape up enough money for a band trip to Washington DC and there are a few kids who still needed "sponsoring" last I heard.

10. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Welcome Susie, glad to hear your passion for music has inspired you to help bring up your local school band back up to a level or degree that is above the norm. I went to HS where we had a great booster program and over 100+ members and got to travel to Canada, Hawaii and Japan. Myself, joined the military before college and lost touch with my music for a while but I'm back now and in full force helping our church youth bands. I even buy some good instruments and donate them when I can. I'm an engineer by trade so playing trumpet is my passion. I even signed up to the local Jr college to play with their jazz band. Enjoy it here on tm and please keep us up to date on progress or new endeavors.

Cheers from So Cal.