Hi from Texas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Susie, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome Susie! Confidence and motivation are important. We have specially trained trumpeters in the art of moderation, oxymoron as that is, and the lounge is safe enough.

2. Susie

Susie New Friend

Dec 31, 2012
    Near Cleburne, TX
    Hi Art,
    Your high school experience sounds more of what I'm used to. I hope to follow along a path VERY similar to yours and won't give up on this school. I had never thought about playing jazz with the local junior college - great idea!

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Hi Susie, welcome to TM. I have some good memories from Cleburne, as it was on that big runway that I made my first solo flight with the customary 3 take-offs and landings. Thinking back, that almost made it a piece of cake, although that's not how I felt at the time. Later I soloed several of my students at that same airport.
    As I recall, Tarrant County Community College is kind of a big organisation and they have lots of options for music; I'm sure you can find plenty of good opportunities to keep challenging yourself if your school involvement leaves you the time. Enjoy.

4. Susie

Susie New Friend

Dec 31, 2012
    Near Cleburne, TX
    Hi Philippe,
    What a small world that you have flown into Cleburne! How long have you been flying? I think my husband either went to TCCC or TCJC for classical guitar...I can't remember at the moment. Lol He grew up in Arlington. There is a new branch of Hill College that is quite close to the Cleburne runway that I'm thinking about looking into for jazz band, if I can work it into my lesson and my daughter's schedule.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Now Susie, you must try to understand that KT sometimes has very valuable posts full of information. Although, I have an ample amount of humor(humour) added in. which means that one has to peruse each and every post that I make, in order to the tidbits of useful information, However in searching for that information, I hope to add some laughter in many posts. NOW GM (gmonady) he has his own band (Eddie Brookshire Quintet |) and there is a real nice pic of the old duffer actually dressed up. NOW Susie, the tidbit of information today is -- GM might be the best jazz trumpet player in America. YOU SEE SUSIE, how wonderfully nice and gracious ole KT is, to offer up that wonderful assessment of the skills of GM!!! --- you see Susie, KT is really a great guy, although he sometimes talks about himself in the third person. That KT, he is pretty humble also. ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I soloed out of Cleburne in 1995 and that's how long I've been flying, although I am not as active as I was back then :-)

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Susie,
    Welcome to TM, enjoy your stay with us, and keep us posted on your progress *(and also the kids).

Cheers

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Welcome, Susie.

Keep us posted on your trek.

9. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Howdy Neighbor!
    And welcome to the sticks out here near Cleburne. I live in Godley where my 5 kids all went to school. The small school music and sports scene is a challenge for sure. You don't see many half time marching bands with several guys marching with a band jacket and football pants at the big schools. (Just ain't enough kids) I had two daughters that played flute and a son and a daughter playing trumpet. When we first moved here in 1996 from a 5A school in North Richland Hills my son was so disappointed in the difference in quality he quit band. I had 1 flute daughter and my trumpet daughter finished HS with the band. When we moved here there were maybe 30 kids in the high school band. We have had a band director come through and really give the band program a big boost. He put the fun back in music. During football season he had the whole band march down the halls playing at full volume and all the kids at school would fall in line and follow them to the gym for pep rallies on Friday mornings. When the Junior High band went to a band competition he would have the whole High School band in the parking lot to greet the bus when they got back. There are over 50-60 kids in the band now and they do pretty well. I make it a point to go to their concert every year even though I don't have kids in school any more. This past year we have had some new school administrators that think our school should cut back on pep rallies and "fun". But I enjoy listening to them enjoy their music.
    Good luck and I appreciate your commitment. Our communities need it.
    Bobby
    P.S. David's Instruments does outstanding work. I use him as well.

Correction: There are about 120 kids in the band these days

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Welcome from Texas! I used to be in the area and went to school. I was actually asked by my band director to tech at Cleburne but the commute would have killed me. The new guy has a really big heart and will do good things with the program.

And I use Dave as well! I was going to see him since I was in Frisco because my school was in the FCS National Championship but didn't have time.