Hi Gear Lo Gear

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    YouTube - Hi Gear Lo Gear
    I came across this vid and a few of his others, a few months ago. I have been trying to do this method for quite sometime, with little to no success!

I'm just wondering if anyone's tried it and if you were seccessful at it?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Nick is a regular contibutor here and a great player.

feel free to PM him about any questions you have. (NickD)

He is very good about discussing andteaching things.

-cw-

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I`ve been using this setup since 1975, and did hit Double High C in ten minutes , lost kept the Dbl G ,took a few months but built up to the Dbl C again, didn`t know it was the same set-up as Walt Johnson`s, any way ,it works!

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

I recently had a student come over to my house with a buddy for a small group lesson. He was a good lead player, but in the course of the lesson I only heard a "comfort zone" range up to a high F.

A week later I was brought in to do a clinic for the big band he played lead trumpet in. In the course of the session, he was ripping some nice double C's! He did a couple when I was standing in the section working with the trumpets. I leaned over and said in a positive tone "Where do those come from?" I complimented him and commented on the fact that I hadn't heard those before. He told me very bluntly, and almost incredulously, " You TOLD me how to do it!" He then just went on to say that he was doing a little lip tuck just like we had discussed.

It does work but it takes some patience to learn how to SWITCH gears on the fly. Also, it is a very subtle move. Finally, my methods may not work for EVERYONE! Everyone is unique and how I do things might not work for you.

Feel free to get in touch with me via emails if you have more questions. Hit my website for the contact info.

Maybe I can come over to Michigan sometime and do a clinic in person. Sometimes being up close can make it easier to see what I'm up to.

Peace!

Nick

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Patience and practice.

Thanks to Nick for his MANY contributions to the on-line trumpet community!!!!!!!

6. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California

That's great! I'll show this to my daughter. She'll be very happy to use this technique to hit high registers. I'm just finding pieces for my daughter to watch instead of going to private lessons. So far it works well. Just don't know how long will it stop working(seems enough to deal with elementary school's music classes). Thanks for sharing this "little secret"! :grouphug: , high efficient breathing.

Happy thanksgiving! :thumbsup:
    Oldsben

7. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    I used to follow Walt Johnson around like crazy and he eventually took a buddy and I back in the late 70's under his wing and showed us that hi gear, lo gear thing, and like Nick, I can tell you with the disclaimer that while not everyone may get it, it does work, and it worked big time for me. Nick's video explains it perfectly and then it is a matter of doing it enough you get the feel for it.

If you ever get a chance to see Walt live or hear any recordings of him with Louie Bellson, Sinatra, or on the fourth CHASE album, "Watch Closely Now" where he took Bill Chase's place, or any of his own projects, do it!

This stuff works, it has helped me and a number of other players too. Cool stuff!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008