hi guys! how ddo i sound like?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HaYamai, Apr 26, 2010.

1. HaYamai

HaYamai New Friend

Apr 26, 2010
    hey here's me playing: YouTube - ‫????? - ???? HQ‬‎ i just want to know how bad i sound like :) thanks guys for commenting. :D btw skip to minute 0:48 to get to the playing part. its really importent to me

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    How long have you been playing?

BTW...Where are you from?

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    You sound like a beginner...more or less. What I miss the most is breath support (especially at the end of the notes) clear attacks and energy. Sound is OK for a beginner.

4. HaYamai

HaYamai New Friend

Apr 26, 2010
    i'm playing for about 5-6 years but i'm not practicing a lot. i'm usally 3rd or 2nd voice and only occasinally 1st. and sorry i can't tell you where i'm from...

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Why are the opinions of total strangers on the internet so important to you? What are you really looking for here?

6. HaYamai

HaYamai New Friend

Apr 26, 2010
    i want to know how do i sound like and i want the opinions of stranger because these are usally the best opinions! trumpetnick really helped me not like you!

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    HY,

GBD has some valid reasons for his comment. Do you have a private teacher? If so, it may be a better idea to listen what he says. Though certain problems may be quite obvious even on the video, a video recording may be deceitful for many reasons. Nothing beats one-to-one live tuition. I am glad to be helpful, but do not neglect your teacher (assuming that you got one)..and if you don't - get one. Internet video lessons may be helpful up to some degree, but "live" lessons should be preferred, if available.

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Well, since you have been so abrupt with someone who was trying to take an interest in you here is what I hear.
    1. A total lack of proper breath support.
    2. A failure to move the air through the horn.
    3. A lack of consistant rhythm.
    4. Cutting off of phrases, not completing the phrase.
    5. Tonal quality needs much work. (Long tones and lip slurs softly would help)
    6. Articulations seem to be somewhat questionable. (sloppy)
    7. Someone who if they are serious about playing needs private lessons from a good trumpet teacher.

Now you have the absolute raw truth of what I hear.

9. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hey guys, I'd cut the kid some slack... these days, kids are being told never to tell people on the internet where they live (meaning address, not country, which I'm sure is what Chuck was asking!) as there are supposed to be lots of perverts out here in internetland!

It's fairly obvious to me, anyway, that he's Israelli, from his hebrew text on the video as well as the language he's speaking (no I don't understand any of it, but I've heard enough Israelli to think I recognize it when I hear it! ;-) )

However, when I was growing up, kids were also taught to speak respectfully to their elders, regardless if we thought it deserved! This is evidently an international forum, so let's keep it gentlemanly, all around, ok? ;-)

Anyway, as for his question, I have to concur with the judgements voiced already, especially the breath support issue. The first part of the clip tone quality sounded like too many other little wannabe jazzers. Fuzzy and buzzy. Intonation was passable, for the genre. Rythmn wasn't good, but par for many of his age I've heard.

Of course, I'm coming from a symphonic and British Brass Band standpoint, and maybe to a small jazz combo player, it's not so bad.

He needs a better teacher, and/or to listen better to his teacher's advice.

Suffice to say, I wouldn't recommend him for any of the community bands with which I've played. In his favor, though, he's young, and has plenty of time to fix his problems and become a good player!

Guy (eternal optimist) Clark