Hi TM I'm back and i have videos :D

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Feb 10, 2013.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    Well i hope some people remember me from August-October of last year when o kept on complaining about how much i suck haha. I kept on asking for advice but now im back and i feel like i have the best sound/range/endurance ive ever had and today after my 3 hour rehearsal i came back home and recorded myself practicing a little. In total i practiced for about 20 minutes, but i recorded a good 6 mins into 2 videos i just wanted to post em on here and see if anyone has any comments on my playing

I had to put on a mute because my phone microphone is horrible and makes me sound REALLY loud. I still sound loud but i can still recognize that it's me playing.

Im using a Xeno with an inverted lead pipe and a 3b Bach mouthpiece

i was still tired from rehearsal but i don't sound too bad haha

part 1
    Practicing my trumpet part 1 - YouTube

part 2
    Practicing my trumpet part 2 - YouTube

2. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Aimless blowing will get you nowhere on the horn.

Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet
    by Claude Gordon

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    First of all, before I address a few things, were you at SHSU the other day? You look really familiar.

Anyway, here are a few things I see. First, your breath. It isn't full. Even the first one and as you play they continually get shallower and your sound suffers. The other issue with your breath is you stop moving it, you have this point in every breath where the you air pushing in air or breathing in, stale air is bad air. You could probably use some more of it to, your sound is good but there isn't all that much resonance to it, but that could just be the mute.

Another thing I saw, is you are pretty tense when you play. You hold your arms very close to your body and build up a lot of tension as you breath. Relax when you play.

4. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Take deeper breaths! It's a wind instrument for goodness sake! :p

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The breathing techniques as mentioned above will help, but you still need to tone the embouchure muscle... That is what the priority you need to achieve the control you currently lack... Playing 3 hours is not going to help... You can get more accomplished toward this goal with 45 minutes of mindful exercises, than 3 hours of random play.

6. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    yea im working on the breathing issue with my private teacher. Lately I hesitate before i play and it causes me to hold the air. I'm trying hard to fix this and thanks for the advice. Gmonady it wasn't really 3 hours of straight playing. We we're playing Shostakovitch symphony 9 so it was more like 30 mins of playing spread out over 3 hours so it wasn't that bad.

DaTrump haha no i didn't get to go to SHSU but my friend carl did haha did you get to meet him? he's a short black guy with light skin.

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Carl? Yeah I saw him, he watched me fail at studio....not my best work.

8. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    Haha what did you think about his playing? he's a senior too but he's 5th chair in the symphonic band haha

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I don't think I ever heard him play, but I'm sure he's fine.

10. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Hi dan, do you think you could possibly leave out the 'ha-ha's'?