Hiatal Hernia

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornetist, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Cornetist

Cornetist New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    Due to stomach valve irregularities, I now have a hiatal hernia. I am trying to take care of it through meds (omeprazole and ranitidine), diet, and exercise (some yoga poses do help a lot). But you folks may be able to help me with one other thing. Some of my trumpets make my hernia much worse and others do not. So, I plan to sell off the horns that I can no longer blow comfortably. My question is - Do you have any other suggestions that might help me play more comfortably? I plan to retire from my day job soon and want to increase my playing. Thanks in advance.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    What you can do before you sell off your horns is see an orthobionomy therapist. Orthobionomy is a low-impact manual therapy that can alleviate and cure all kinds of muscular problems. Usually, four or five sessions should do the trick and teach you how to help yourself in future.

3. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I had this condition several years ago. (Hiatal hernia.) I don't think the model of horn should make any difference. My suggestion is to give it about 4 months with the meds and then decide. The omeprazole and a little time solved the problem for me. I wouldn't divest any horns until many months after the problems is solved and then see how the horns respond.

4. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    ... but here's another problem.... If you have the valve problem often associated with hiatal hernia, you may have acid reflux at night. This can damage your teeth. Check with your dentist about this.

5. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Suggestion 1 - post me your Martin Committee
    Suggestion 2 - post me both of your Martin Committees

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I had this, waited and ended up having to lay off for 3 months after surgery. Omeprazol screwed up my digestion - my diabetes got worse. I wish that my doc had suggested surgery much earlier.

I don't believe that one horn is worse than another. I believe the way that we play certain horns is more "testosterone" driven - and that is what gets us.

I am glad that I didn't sell any horns and finally fixed the problem. The road back after surgery was 6 months long in spite of yoga, alexander technique, feldenkrais and some other stuff.

7. Cornetist

Cornetist New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    Thanks for the info. Barliman2001, I will check into the therapy you suggested. Newell Post, I have had acid reflux for years and am treating that as well - thanks for the heads-up on it. Churchman, I will try to keep you posted as to what I do with my Martin Committees (both are from 1959, I believe). Rowuk, the omeprazole is not affecting me badly, but I will keep an eye on its effects. To all, thanks for the support and the suggestions to give it time. As for divesting some of my horns, I have way more than I can play and think that eventually I will thin the herd anyway. Just do not know when yet. Thanks again for the suggestions.