hidden slot?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You probably got some dates, though.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    They tried, you found an alternate path. Welcome to lifes "cost of business" lesson.

Things neat to know as a geek trumpet player:

watchmaking
    behavioral science (especially of animals)
    fluid dynamics
    psychology
    bookkeeping 101
    Physics
    Math
    Electronics
    Foreign languages to read the originals (French and German are VERY useful)
    Advanced Market dynamics (we have to eat from something)
    Wine connoiseur
    Cheese connoiseur
    Professional beer tasting
    Calorie content of fast and not so fast food
    Automobile mechanics

What we don't need as a geek is very much music. It is sufficient when we can believably post about it..........................

3. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    rowuk

Seriously, my high shool cousellor said that since I was going toward a music scholarship, and wanted to be a trumpet player/band director, there was no need to take math or science. I took my ACT having only gone through one semester of Algebra 2, and having taken no science courses.

Undergraduate school was little better, though educational psychology was great!

Physics, anatomy, human biology, trignometry, calculus...all interests now (at age 51).

I feel like there's an IQ of 133 in there somewhere that's never been tapped!

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Right - so, when I make raspberries in one end, the trumpet makes a noise. The sound output varies depending on what I do with those raspberries. Some output is ugly some is really very pretty (musically) - the trick, it seems, is to play the pretty stuff - if you can. You don't have to be a physicist to play trumpet, but if you like to know why it works this discussion is a nice starting point. If you only have to know THAT it all works then have a cheese, lettuce, and Vegemite sandwich with a beer, and relax.

Seriously though, Nick Drozdoff has some very interesting discussions on his website about this subject - good visual demos too. Jason Harrelson builds trumpets with ROWUK's standing wave as the essential design criterium and his website, too is a fascination.

Again I learn more. Well done all - nice thread.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is not my standing wave, and I am not trying to market common physics as something unique to me.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Slipped up with the possesive case again - lost a girlfriend with that. ;-)

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    ROWUK: "Right On Without Unnecessary Kisses."

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    OK, all of the frequencies, wavelengths, speed of sound, impedance, etc. I understood fine - but what are these codes??

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Perfect 5th, perfect 4th, major 3rd, minor third, minor third, major 2nd...

10. mkmtrumpeter

mkmtrumpeter New Friend

Jun 17, 2009
    Colorado
    As stated in the post above. It's just shorthand for intervals. "M" stands for major and "m" stands for minor. "P" stands for perfect. I didn't use these, but they're not bad for you to know either: "+" stands for augmented and "o" stands for diminished. Then obviously the numbers are whatever the interval is (2 is second, 3 is third, etc.) So what I posted was perfect fifth, perfect fourth, major third, minor third, minor third, major second.