hidden slot?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Jun 19, 2009.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I knew that! (NOT).
    Thanks for the info. I guess there's more to a comeback than just chops.

2. mkmtrumpeter

mkmtrumpeter New Friend

Jun 17, 2009
    Colorado
    Haha, it's okay! Now you know :) Just really helpful on an aural skills test when you have to write fast I guess... also good for theory homework, or just online posts. It's like music's response to text speak :)

3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    wow... i officially love this topic... its so cool to find out about all this stuff... this seems like something band teachers should teach students... it seems to be a much more interesting approach than "look magik!!"

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    LTG,
    I am sure most band teachers would LOVE to be able to spend more time on stuff like this. Unfortunately the requirements placed on teachers often don't allow for much more than baby sitting. Math and Physics are not always at the top of most students pleasurable activities list. Whether the flute, sax, drum or clarinet player REALLY would be interested in partials is another story, they overblow with an octave key and that is only one partial...................

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    You shouldn´t underestimate a partial like that, Robin.
    It´s a VERY IMPORTANT partial!

:D

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    "(F# below staff to C above staff) the overtone series you'll hear is as follows: P5, P4, M3, m3, m3, M2. when you start on C below staff, the notes that fall in the overtone series are C, G, C, E, G, Bb, C. Tuning is gonna be a little off on certain notes depending on the fingering you're using and the tendency of your instrument and your chops. In this case, the Bb is quite flat. You will never find a brass instrument without this so-called "hidden slot." It's just harmonic nature.P5, P4, M3, m3, m3, M2 between successive overtones..."

That's an intriguing pattern. I see how that confirms the 'hidden slot' idea. To test the overall pattern, I tried it with the 1-2-3 valve combination and came up with:
    F#, C#, F#, A#, C#, E, F#
    which fits the pattern exactly. Hmmmmm...Verrrry Interesting!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We should NEVER call partials overtones. Partials happen one at a time, the overtones all sound at the same time. The pattern is only mathematically related.

The partials are the notes that we play, the overtones make those notes sound like a trumpet

8. mkmtrumpeter

mkmtrumpeter New Friend

Jun 17, 2009
    Colorado
    It's so sad, isn't it? I remember how hard it was on my band directors just to get the school to allow us to go to festivals and competitions... and we even had a pretty powerful arts program. I wish music were considered a standard of academic success and not an extracurricular. It would have been so cool to have been able to take AP Music Theory in high school, but music just isn't taken as seriously as things like math, English, science, and social studies... such a shame.

9. jerec576

jerec576 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    Really? I always used it as an sharp A, woukld pull out a little bit and use an alternate fingering for it.

10. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    for me during marching season from an E to a G I would occasionally frac to a perfectly in tune Bb, or a high C ha maybe me, but now with my new mouthpieve thats so much shallower on those I frac from a high C to an E above that all in tune, eh? oh well atleast I frac in tune :-P