hidden slot?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mkmtrumpeter

mkmtrumpeter New Friend

Jun 17, 2009
    Colorado
    Following the overtone series, that partial is a Bb. I suppose if you adjusted your slides, it could be an A, but it you're using a different fingering then it's not a part of that overtone series anymore. Usually when I play an A above staff I find it helps to use third valve to bring it down a tad and I find it slots a lot better for me... but I digress. It's a flat Bb when played open.

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    OK - this discussion has raised another question about the intervals. I found a chart on the internet which shows the note name, frequency, wavelength, etc. It is based on the A4=440hz spectrum. It shows that C4 has a frequency of 261.63 and a wavelength of 51.97 inches. I had read somewhere else (can't remember where) that a Bb trumpet has an overall tube length (open valves) of 52" (51.97?). Well, at first glance, it seems to make sense that C4, being the lowest harmonic would have a wavelength equal to the length of the tubing. But, since a Bb trumpet is playing 2 semitones below the concert pitch, that means it is not really playing the C4 note that matches the tubing length. It seems like I also read that a C trumpet has a tubing length of 48" but this does not match a concert C tone either (it matches C#). So now I am really confused. Anybody know what I'm missing?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The difference is that a trumpet is not a straight cylindrical tube.

If you have ever blown a tone across the top of a beer bottle, you know that VOLUME has a lot to say about the resonant frequency of the instrument - drink more beer and the note gets lower. The rule is for cylinders, length is the primary consideration. For irregular shapes, volume. In a trumpet both.

The bell also behaves differently at high and low frequencies. Buy 5 feet of 1/2 garden or aquarium hose, stick a mouthpiece in and check the intonation. You will discover that math and our ears have a different view on what is "in-tune". That is why I do not recommend electronic tuners. Add an old bell to that hose, and things get better.

4. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    When I drink more beer, eventually the floor gets a lot higher. :thumbsup:

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Robin!

Another question:

We have learned that the mouthpiece end is the open end,
    and from the laws of standing waves in a tube this should
    mean that the wave pressure is low in a mouthpiece, since
    the wave pressure is low in an open end.
    Some people, who usually know what they talk about, say
    otherwise, so my question is:

* is wave pressure low as I expect in the mp end?
    * if not, the why not?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009