High A, High B, and Double C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by EggNoggin, Apr 25, 2011.

1. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Dave, I have been in the exact position as you and see it still. The guys that are only concerned with the highest note are not well rounded players.

Egg, most lead charts never go above written G. When you hear otherwise it has been 'taken up.' Which is all well and good but I'd rather hear a great player sitting atop the band, controlled with solid E, F and Gs than a slop fest that can screech.

2. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I'd agree. Are you comfortable with your MP (which one are you using)? I'd also suggest that slotting isn't as good on a student model- you might want to make the jump.

I, myself had set the horn down for more than 15 years and when I came back, I could play a double g, but not a low c? But I really have never heard of not being able to play in-between notes? I don't want to seem rude, and please don't take it that way, but are you really playing a double c, or are you kind of screaching it out? Really work on playing high notes as notes- and real loud :D [I'm just kidding here, somewhat- but I've never heard of a lead in big band that wasn't showing off :thumbsup:, again just kidding...somewhat:play:]

3. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Hiya everyone,

I'm pretty much a new user here, enjoy playing in my spare time, after a 10 year absence from the instrument, finding lots of interesting things on this site, so thanks heaps to everyone already!

I found a Wayne Bergeron Masterclass (not very useful for me, I can get to C just above the stave and that's it, haha!). But it does shed some light on the problem...

wayne bergeron masterclass part 5

The interesting part comes after half way through and especially at 7.33

Thought you'd all like to know...

Tata!

Redintheface

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Forget about slotting! Recent scientific evidence suggests that high notes are dangerous and should be attempted only by highly trained players who had a number of years of acclimatation and full mastery of all the instrument's expression and musical possibilities.

Indeed studies show that the high air pressure necessary for the double membranous reed to vibrate at these frequencies tend to make trumpeters' heads inflate, sometimes in tremendous proportions. In some cases, the inflation can lead to worrisome behavior changes such as arrogance, feelings of superiority and overall obnoxious demeanor. Sensitivity to subtle musical nuances also seems to be affected by the inflation...

6. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    ROFL:thumbsup::D

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH no - high notes may be dangerous!!!!! -- how many years do I have to train??? I seem to have some side effects like the following:
    1.) I am the best trumpet player here
    2.) I am better than all of you at high notes, and YOU all will never catch me.
    3.) I am better than even your mother at high notes
    4.) the only notes that are important are high notes - JAZZ and CLASSICAL are the ruination of everyone.
    5.) only HIGH notes above the staff are important --
    6.) trombone players barely slide into the fact that they are musicians at all.

ROFLROFLROFL
    oh no! -- you guys are right -- AM I NOW CURED????

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I got to agree -- actually DHC is not the limit of a decent sound, at least not in my opinion for my setup, and at least not at piano or mezzo piano.
    softly (anyhow) there is a least the D, E, and possible a F above DHC.
    not that I can play with any volume up there --yet--- but Al is correct - you need to practice softly, and with only enough pressure as to seal your lips -- and the A,B, and DHC will take some time to become repeatable on a consistent basis.

10. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Every trumpet player wants to play high. How about finding using a Clarke book. If you play the exercises as prescribed you should see some improvement. At least then you can work on breath control, slurring and general technique instead of wasting your chops. also when you do go near your highest notes take breaks.

Btw that tea kettle video was worse than hearing flutes play at one time. I wonder what it would sound like if you overlapped all of those audio clips. :)