High A, High B, and Double C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by EggNoggin, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Richard Gordon

Richard Gordon Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2007
    Deer Park NY
    Hi: What it sounds like to me is that you are closing your jaw as you climb. Try delaying your jaw closing and push your lower jaw a little forward to take weight off your top reed(lip). Also, try rolling your lower lip slightly over your bottom lip, ( a little experimentation is in order here) and you'll probably slot yourA's, B's and C's and above. Oh yes, everything should be played PP. YamahaYTR734 (1979)

2. Richard Gordon

Sep 14, 2007
    Deer Park NY
    hEY COOLERDAVE WHATS WRONG WITH TEAPOTS. WITHOUT THEM THE BRITS COULDN'T HAVE THEIR TEA.

3. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    Hey us normal plebs just chuck a teabag in a mug. We don't usually bother with the cucumber sandwiches on the lawn either - unless we can persuade Jeeves to get it together. :D

Still I think the double high Cs sound more like old-fashioned kettles than teapots.

4. Richard Gordon

Sep 14, 2007
    Deer Park NY
    MY fRIEND; iT'S AN HONOR TO CHAT WITH YOU. AND YOU'RE RIGHT , IT DOES SOUND LIKE THE, KETTLES ON THE BOIL, AS SIR PAUL WROTE, BUT IT IS SURE FUN TO DO.:thumbsup:

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Hey I still think there's still something to be said about an HUGE, LOUD Double A,B,C! In places it adds to the excitement of the music!

6. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City

From what i have seen and heard, this is incredibly similar to what my teacher does, and he regularly cranks out and owns triple high C's, but the musical use of them is so limited, he might hit them, once a month even if he is gigging regularly.

7. BigBear

BigBear New Friend

Mar 25, 2011
    There has already been some good advice given. I would also like to mention alternate fingerings. Some horns do slot differently in the altissimo register and you may find that the A and B might speak better with a different fingering. On my personal horn, the A is more live and in-tune if I use 3rd valve. Conversely, If I play it on a friends horn, I must use the traditional 12. Same for the DHC. Sometimes 23, sometimes open.

One size, does not fit all.

Relaxation, air flow, hearing the pitch.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    OP planted his seed a month ago and hasn't been here since!

9. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    He edited his first post after the first two replies and then left the building. Perhaps he didn't get the answer he was looking for? :evil:

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    maybe he is ELVIS and has left the buildingROFLROFL