high alititude, breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jcstites, Jun 16, 2005.

1. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yeah thats what i hear. But i am really down on how bad it was. I have been really happy with how my playing has been th last week or so (that NEVER happens) and then to go in and sound like that.

Oh well, i just got a large chocolate milkshake at mcdonalds. Now i need some beer

2. Mzony

Mzony Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Manny,
    I was wondering, and I am not putting this as a trumpet egotist thing at all, are you able to play the Clarke studies in one breath? I was just kind of wondering if when practicing things like Clarke or Irons where they indicate long,LONG phrases if you "sneak" (I couldn't think of a better word...sorry) in breaths before finishing the phrase.
    I know there are some Clarke exercises in some registers that I cannot play in one breath and I have been working on it for years.
    Thanks for spending some time on my question.
    Mike

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    MIKE!

Hey, good to see you again...

Ach, I got crappy lungs. Even when they work well, I'm still at a lower capacity than most of the guys but I make do okay. So, I breathe if I have to but usually I can make it through where I need to. Were you referring to the early sudies in the book or the one pagers at the end of each unit?

The studies at the end are hardest and in order to finish up with the right sound I'll have to take a breath. However, I use the studies to motivate myself to breathe big all the time. If I feel tighter than I usually do I have some albuterol to get me through a show and that helps tremendously.

Anyways, great to see you again.

ML

4. Mzony

Mzony Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Manny,
    Thanks for the reply. I was referring to the 5th and 6th Clarke study...Specifically in the low range. I don't usually have breath or long phrase issues. I tend to play Petrouchka in one breath for example, but for some reason, I seem to throw away air on the lower/longer Clarke studies.
    Well, there is nothing like airing out your issues (no pun intended) on the world wide web! :dontknow:
    But I figured if anybody could give me advice without knowing me, hearing me play, or knowing much about me at all...I figured it would be you! :D :cool: :lol:
    Thanks for the time. I really appreciate the service you provide this community.

Mike