High C on Martin Committee (Above the Staff)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jessman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. jessman

jessman Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Corpus Christi Texas
    I recently purchased a Martin Committee. It sounds great. I can't get over the sound. However the high C does not slot well. I really have to concentrate to hit and at this point there are not guarantees. I play on a Harrelson Bravura and I also have a Yamaha 8310 which hit it every time.

I don't know what to attribute it to. Any suggestions besides giving away the Committee to someone who can play it? I absolutely love this horn. Surprisingly I can go above the C with no problem....

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Depending on your "critic", that is one of the beauties/problems with the Committee. It doesn't slot well! Great for jazz, bad for anything else, UNTIL, you learn to play it. Then you will love it forever. I love mine!

Some also nicknamed it the "Range Builder"!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I have a Martin Handcraft that doesn't slot well either ....... REALLY makes you listen. Once you get used to this, it slots as well as you can hear your notes. An experienced professional player (my teacher, 1st trumpet symphony player) played the Handcraft perfectly in tune the first time he tried it out. HE said he would use it in the symphony, so the loose slotting doesn't completely rule out legit playing (though it's harder!!!:shock:). Generally though, as Tobylou pointed out, it's been a great jazz horn.

You might want to give it to me though.

Turtle

4. jessman

jessman Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Corpus Christi Texas

5. jessman

jessman Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Send me your address Turtle and it will be on the way.....

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, no send it to me, send it to me. I will give it a nice home, keep it in a large 22 x 20 family room with a fireplace, $20,000 sound system, three cute fury dogs. All Turtle can offer is a 10 x 10 shed, panels that fall off their backing, and a frig that overheats the unit to provide a major fire hazard. I sir, will give it a good home!

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    There's no fundamental reason a Committee wouldn't be able to slot a high C. I played two sets on mine Friday night, switching between lead and second parts. All the notes I needed to play, up to high E, were there. It may be as simple as your not being familiar enough with the horn yet, but just for grins try measuring the mouthpiece gap.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Careful, jessman--jimmyturtle might turn it into a lamp!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I always have to smile when you guys start talking about slots - because I am convinced it is the player and not the horn. I guess when you don't hear yourselves the way that your normal horns let you, you get insecure - and blame the horn. Shame on you.

10. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I have to agree with Robin here...how a horn "slots" is a relatively new term for me. Never comes up in normal trumpet speak where I'm from.
    When we talk about bad slots, we are are usually referring to the ones in Vegas or Reno :lol: