High C on Martin Committee (Above the Staff)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jessman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Couple of things to try:

Try "lipping" the c above the staff up or down--maybe your aim is wrong. One of the few valid uses for an electronic tuner is to test the intonation of octave c's on your "good" trumpets and you Committee. The other alternative is to try some alternate fingerings.

2. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    if your high C is sharp try fingering 2&3...that will flatten it. Otherwise lip up or down.
    Up there the over tone partials are pretty close and almost any valve/combination pressed will produce the same tone, so having the ears and chops to manipulate or nail the tone is critical.
    Work on tone bending excercises....I can bend a full tone and sometimes a tone and half up or down using any fingerings from high C and beyond.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I just don't understand the problem. The C is there if the D is there. I've never run into that on any horn.

4. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    I'd be interested if you could do a blind test with the same mouthpiece. If you could get another person to switch horns for you, you keep your eyes shut and go for that high C.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Rowuk, interesting idea. I don't "blame" my horns for anything, rather I just notice that of my two primary trumpets I can bend the notes easier on one than the other, which I attribute to "looser" or "tighter" slotting. I don't notice a change in my (in)security levels - but then I am not a psychologist.

--bumblebee

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi BB,
    the context of the first post in the thread was a bit different. Here the Committee was compared to a Yamaha and Harrelson. My challenge to the thread owner, take all three horns outdoors away from all buildings. Outdoors, you don't hear any of them very well and probably will have a similar experience - but with all three. The Committee is not built as brilliant sounding as the other two. Indoors, that makes it a bit more difficult to hear. This means, practice enough until you get used to the axe.

My experience is that some horns do not like to be muscled around and this has to do with how well we hear ourselves. Actually, most horns work better when we just let them do their thing. I am tired about reading that this horn has magic slots and this one doesn't - it always has to do with notes above the staff, most of the time with range that I do not consider to be "upper" or difficult on any horn that I own. In one on one lessons, this myth would last about 2 minutes - on the internet probably 600 posts........................................

7. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Give it to ME! It is a great horn! It conveys great presence and has the ability to bend and shape notes to your whim. Slotting? What is that?
    I always thought it was up to me to shape the note.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay... I read that the bracing on the Committee actually created an interference with some of the notes and that they could crack easier ... it further said that is why Miles had those cool cracks .... don't shoot the messenger ..I can find the article on the internet if anyone is interested.. so isn't it possible the high C is in the questionable zone...

slotting
    okay .. I may not know much about engineering and the physics of a trumpet but I do know some are easier to bend notes on while other horns just assume crack then be bent. I won't argue that if I had lips of steel I could probably force the issue but that is actually contrairy to letting the horn sound. On my horn list I can say that the Holton bends easiest..then the 28B ..then the Bach .. the 22B and then the Connie. I agree that what you hear and what the audience hears varies alot form horn to horn.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Well, you gotta blame something ..... the guy in the mirror is already getting grilled by girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, relatives, etc. Even the cat is giving him a hard time. He's overloaded.:shhh:

No need to burden him any further with ..... cough cough, sputter ..... self blame. It's the horn. Really. It just refuses to cooperate.:dontknow:

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:-o

Wow, I almost missed your post. Nah ..... you better keep it. I'm just finishing a practice shed and I seriously NEED a lamp for it ..... I'm just saying, I've got 7 trumpets and NO LAMP.:shock:

Turtle