High C on Martin Committee (Above the Staff)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jessman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I meant to ask this a couple of days ago; do you think this would be common to certain horn features, such as hard, hammered bell compared to softer, annealed bell, or a heavy horn compared to a lightweight horn; and if so, which would sound louder to the player for the same amount of effort?

(and further, does putting more effort in give a greater impression of "slots", or less?)

--bumblebee

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Don't give it to Gmonday ..... His dogs will knock it over off the stand with their tails. Turtles are very trumpet friendly, and not for soup.:noway:

Turtle

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Jessman, I have miniature dogs that stay low to the ground, and the horns are kept up on a very nice cabinet, with my finest liqueurs, wines and spirits, so they too will be handled as I do my fine grains. I will keep your Committee right next to my Olds Recording. They will sing and play together, they will.

And in discussing the terms of transfer of your horn to me, may I suggest we meet in a town in Oregon, over lunch, consuming that comfort food known as Turtle Soup.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that hard, unsupported bells leak the most, annealed and heavily braced the least. The weight of the horn probably does not make quite as big of a difference although I have NEVER seen a heavy horn with skimpy bracing.

The leaky horns "feel" like they slot better although the efficiency is most likely less. How loudly the player thinks that they are playing is based on many audible and visible clues. We played Holsts Planets a couple of years ago and I saw the cellos try to dig a trench on stage during Saturn. I was positive that I was playing loudly.

5. jessman

jessman Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Corpus Christi Texas
    You guys rock! Been working at it a week and improvements are coming. I have tried both the alternate fingerings and lipping it up with a greater air speed. At times it hits great. I am not consistent but I am getting there. Thank you so much for the help.

Turtle you crack me up dude.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro