High C to Double High C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetSaiyan777, Dec 30, 2012.

1. TrumpetSaiyan777

TrumpetSaiyan777 New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    Over the past few months I've been using air compression to develop my range better and more efficiently, not only are my high notes stronger, but I'm saving a lot more on my chops by not using physical pressure.

But now I have an extremely hard time hitting notes from a high G to a high C as opposed to Double High G and Double High C, and it's not making any sense. And sometimes even getting a note to sound from that range is even more difficult, and I'm trying not to analyze too much into what I'm doing, but I've never had trouble hitting these notes before and I'm not sure why I suddenly can't even get them to sound. I doubt this has happened to anyone before, but I'm extremely lost.

I'll bring this up to my private teacher when I have my next lesson again in the middle of January, but I'm worried about this now that I have All-State Band rehearsals coming soon. Thanks for reading and I hope you can help!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Double High C? I have no use for such things :lol: - we 3rd chair officionados like to tootle a little lower down, although the Battle Hymn of the Republic tests us a bit.

3. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    Yer just braggin' .... ROFL ROFL ROFL

two words that I've gleaned from reading this forum..... Balanced practice..... (Practice the low's as much as you practice the high's.........)

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Spend less time developing range, spend more time worrying about the audition. I doubt there is even a High C in your music, out of all the Texas sets, I think there is a maybe one C. Too many high school players worry about the extreme register and rarely use it in practical application. I've had a teacher tell me "unless you are a lead player, High F will get you anywhere you want to go."

5. TrumpetSaiyan777

TrumpetSaiyan777 New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    Not at all, sorry if I came across that way! I don't intend to sound cocky or arrogant.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm reckless and often go off on tangents with the high notes when it's unnecessary. Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Quit practicing high notes... Do Clarke #1 inverted starting on middle c (down to middle g). Then go up by half steps until you are doing them from high g down to high c, or as high as you can do them well... Do them slowly and softly focusing on accuracy and smoothness between notes. You are trying to build fluidity between g on staff and 4th ledger line g.

Sounds to me like you are using two different embochures...

7. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    Jis ribbin ya..... :D

My range is slowly improving as well. and I am good with the slowly as I have no urgent deadlines to meet anymore. I tend to 10 minutes of low slurs and atleast 5 minutes of high slurs then rest and repeat.... when I get into other technical exercises, my ADD sometimes kicks in and I'll go off on the high slur/low slur tangent for a while. - then I clean up my shop/practice room some more so I can do the winter overhaul on my motorcycle and get started on the T-bucket frame.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Now you're talkin' - but you'll service your trumpet first, won't you?

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Out of a random selection from one million songs, I'd like to discern 100 that have the music for normal Bb trumpet written higher than a C3#.

10. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Why does that matter? I use 99% of my (high) high notes in impro solos, and thats where most people who can play them use them. :-) And of course 8va the last note (plus one eight note) on ALL big band songs :cool: