High Confidence

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 1, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Can anyone tell me tips and practicing routines to be confident till the high (over the stave C)?
    It looks I might be the Junior big band leader next year and will have a 28B handy.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    What is your current range? I mean that you can comfortably play, not a high note that you can squeeze out as a squeek.

If you want a usable high C that you can call on at the end of a concert then IMO your highest note should be at least a F above.

I built my range by playing ascending scales and arpegios, played softly with minimal chop tension and good air support. Your teacher should be able to help.

There is no easy way.

Regards, Stuart.

3. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I can play high g comfortably

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    If you can play high G comfortably that is the G on the 4th ledger line above the stave then you have no worry with the C on the second, or are you calling the G on the top of the stave High G instead of the G an octave higher.

Regards, Stuart.

5. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    The G that sits on the top of the ledger line.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    You mean the G on top of the stave.

Regards, Stuart.

7. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Yep

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Without seeing and hearing you play we can only give general information. You will need personal guidance to assist you.

Regards, Stuart.

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Sounds like where I was at the beginning of my come back. What I did was start at the G just above the stave and play chromaticly down to G then back up and go for the A(2 half steps) and don't forget the Ab. Every time you work it on the way back up try to get higher, don't force higher though. Also do this all as quite as you can. Also whenever you play scales play from mid up then bottom out. It's also important that for me it was, was to not let my mouthpiece or emboucheur change/move position from low F# to high C. Starting out with a little confidence will help out too, if you are not sure that your going to hit the note then you might not when you need to. If you're thinking nothing but play what you see your head usually won't get in the way

10. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Thank you guys! Soon I will be in a N+1 rush :D SHould try the exercises on EVERY HORN!