High Confidence

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Yes! I would make it happen on your most unforgiving horns, that way when you get your pro hooter you'll be amazed at how effortless it will be

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Practice a lot. Practice often. Then after a few years or so, you will arrive.

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    There are a myriad of ways to gain range.
    One. By practice. Lots of intelligent practice.
    Two. By patience. As the Doctor states, it can and often does, take years of practice.
    Three. By proper routines. Arbans, Clarke, Scales, Air Flow Studies. Etc.
    Four. Learning to breathe properly. None of the above will happen unless you you learn how to breathe. Look up Rowuk's Circle of Breath.
    Five. Having a good teacher. This goes hand in hand with all of the above.
    Six. Practice more, post less.
    Seven. Be vary wary of advice from websites. Some of us are experienced with teaching and playing. Some are not.
    Eight. Range is pointless unless it is musical. Listen to great players. The great ones don't just use range for range sake. They make music.
    Nine. Hard work does pay off. Know what you want and learn to do it the right way.
    Ten. Wayne Bergeron had a real double high C (the one an octave above the C two ledger lines above the stave) in eighth grade. He was gifted. The rest of us
    are not so fortunate.
    Rich T.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Based on your posting over the last couple of months, I would have thought your chops to be more developed than that.

Just a thought, but rather than spending that money on horns, and your time in trying to find new horns, maybe/possibly, you should invest your time and money in lessons and in the practice room with the best trumpet out of your current arsenal.

5. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Congratulations, Patrick! You are the 1000th person to point that out to him in the last 6 months! You win a free cruise to the North Pole on Pseudo Charters Triple-Fake Seafaring Radio Flyer, a gold-embossed clarinet, and a set of viola strings.

Some conditions and exclusions may apply. Void where prohibited by Jean Baptiste Slide Cornets. Not valid with any other mouthpiece offers or promotions.

If any find this post offensive, I redact it in full and will offer my deepest apologies, which will be sent by Next-Day Smoke Signal from Mt. Vesuvius.

Side effects of practicing instead of spending money on horns may or may not include developed chop strength and range, increased virtuosity and skill, improvements in articulation, speed, every other facet of trumpet playing not previously mentioned, and possibly a sharp decline in redundant TM posts.

Have fun storming the castle.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is pure awesome! :D

I'm just sayin', this guy has been on here talking about all kinds of things trumpet related. I guess I'd just assumed that he had at least halfway developed chops. In my experience, as long as there isn't something inherently wrong with a person's embouchure, regular playing and practicing in the first 3-5 years should develop the chops to at least a 2nd ledger C. The problem these days is that kids are way too fragmented so that with all of the things they have going on, they just don't put in the time it takes to really build the foundation.

For me, there was little else I wanted to do, so I put in the time - I started playing trumpet in the 5th grade, and by 7th grade I had a G and could play the 2nd ledger "High C" most days, and by the time I was in 9th grade, I had a solid 2nd ledger C. But, I didn't have the distractions of the internet, and that was still at a point in time in the US where the arts were valued a lot more than they are now, so being in band was considered normal.

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    It is a shame that the arts are not more strongly supported anymore!

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    [​IMG]

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    ALL OF THESE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards, Stuart.

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I am the Chicago area GR dealer and yesterday I had a 17 year old high school student come to my house to try some GR mouthpieces.
    Many of the inquests I get from players his age want to know what mouthpiece will give them an immediate increase in range. Of course, I kindly inform them
    there really is no such mouthpiece. Range is earned by good practice.
    This young man was not interested in extra range. He wanted his playing to be have better sound, articulation, and generally make life a bit easier than on his 3C.
    He has one excellent Bb, a Bach 37 reverse leadpipe. Despite what was said about that horn in a forum here not too long ago, when I asked to play it it took about 15 seconds for me to know that LR played and sounded great. He had a nice sound on it with his 3C and even better with the GR he chose. (The difference to me was apparent immediately. Sound, articulation, and ease of playing was right there).
    Anyway, we went through some simple but highly effective playing tests and about 10 different 3C size mouthpieces. If you want to know, he settled on a GR G66***, which is much like a 3C in size.
    Getting to the point, this young man immediately heard the difference between the 3C and GR G66*** and said he was going to PRACTICE when he got home. I talked to him briefly on email today and he had already PRACTICED.
    FWIW, he had a very nice D above high C.
    This is not a pitch for GR mouthpieces. I just want to say there are young players who want to improve with practice.
    There is some hope in this world!
    Rich T.