High Confidence

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I have a feeling that that was directed towards me ROFL my experience with the LR was awful but I know that they're definitely not all bad. That out of the way, I actually had a very similar experience a couple weeks ago. As soon as I tried my new warburton mouthpiece, I could immidiately tell a difference. Between then and now, I've been practicing for more than 2 hours a day, as well as having lessons with various people from colleges that I applied to. It made me want to play more, and I felt really good about my playing at the lessons partly because of it. If anyone is interested, the mouthpiece is a 2md top with an 8* backbore.

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I just found out the other day that they're mic'ing instruments in marching bands around here.

Whiskey tango foxtrot?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    To improve on anything in life, we need to know what we are doing wrong, and then take action to correct. The problem starts if we are trying to go it alone - we don't know what we are doing wrong and are looking for help in the wrong place.

Players with good range and endurance generally let the air do the work instead of force. Pressure however is how basically all players start.

I teach long tones and lipslurs (Irons Lip Flexibilities) as well as body use and breathing to give my students the solid foundation for everything else. If they never played before coming to me, it takes about 6 months for a C above the staff with good tone. Those that come from other teachers do not always succeed. This is not due to a limit on their intelligence or practice time, it is more or less due to years of wrong playing and the amount of time to learn new habits to replace the old ones.

This means that I cannot predict how long it can take in BBMs case. The first thing is the routine, far more important is the quantity of repetitions and the freedom of days where we don't practice. If we take a week off, the old habits are there again.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well spake.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It depends on where you are. Some areas in some states have very strong arts programs and the HS bands are just amazing. Here in Maryland, not so much. The focus is mostly on academics and sports, especially in the elementary grades. It's amazing - parents will go to great lengths to outfit their kids with the proper athletic equipment and spend all kinds of money on supplemental coaching, but they don't see the value in a kid learning to play a wind instrument.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Patrick, IMO music programs are more dependent on available instruction and financial affluence than on geography. I believe it would help immensely if schools as alike music in churches would be exempt from copyright law viz children are more cognizant of the popular songs and their rhythms than other music. It certainly doesn't help much if a college music graduate with major in piano, string or vocal performance is hired for choir and instrumental music solely on the basis of their B Ed. That's what the Teacher's For America Program allows and what the county here is required to accept. The consequence being zilch and yuck for the county high school band, said high school instructor / director (???) also required to present vocal and instrumental in all the middle and elementary schools. For instrumental, you don't learn much in 4 years from the 4 Essential Elements books but that is all that is presented here. Very true, this county is rural and is very high on the poverty rolls.

7. ChinTurret

ChinTurret New Friend

Jun 8, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    #gunshowtickets: For the first time, last weekend, I saw a mic'ed Marching Band. The University of Virginia Marching Band has an elaborate Mic system in the stands. Mics up and down the aisles. They also have Mics on the sidelines to amplify their halftime show. I am not sure what I think about that. They also have a marching speaker. It trolls around chasing an electric bass. I am not sure why or what they felt compelled to compensate for.

8. gunshowtickets

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    It's UVa, bro, they're compensating for everything, lol.

9. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Kind Stewart has offered me Skype lessons on high note improvement.
    Thanks Stewart! Will be starting next year!

10. gunshowtickets

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Re: range.

Practice scales as quitely as you can whithout adding arm tension as you ascend the scale. When you can play high quietly, you can play loudly, too. Vice versa, not so much. Do them at the beginning of your session after your warmup. Trying to do them at the end leads to bad habits. Get a better teacher, too.

Also, for all the shyte you post on here and the garbage horns you buy, I'd have thought you could play at least an unreliable G an octave above the staff. Spend less time playing on the vandamme computer and more time playing with an actual lesson plan.