High? Double?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by techboy10, Jun 15, 2007.

1. techboy10

techboy10 New Friend

Sep 4, 2006
    Western Massachusetts
    Hey everyone, I was just wondering what the most commonly accepted "dividing notes" are between regular notes, high notes, and double notes.

Thanks

Peter

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    I'm 50 years old, and back when I was a kid the C above the staff (2 octaves above piano Middle C) was High C, the beginning of the "High's", and the notes above it were High ***..., then the next C was a Double High C, the beginning of the "Double High's", and the notes above it were Double High ***...

But many teenagers in the trumpet forums lately have been calling High F's "Double F's".
    And some pro's have posted somewhere that the Bb below Double C can be called Double Bb for some reason I don't understand because they don't call the G below that a "Double G".
    But someone from Germany explained in a forum within the last few months what a European teenager had meant when he referred to a "Quadruple C", explaining that some Europeans use a nomenclature in which a Double C or whatever is called a Quadruple C, apparently because they do the figuring from piano middle C even though we are talking about playing trumpet?

- morris

3. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    My understanding was that the Doubles started with the "double g" being the one that is an octave above top line g. I got this from my high school band director. Anybody know what the general rule is?? or is it a little confusing for everybody??

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    I found the post about German nomenclature:

================

"Re: help please!

Sauer wrote:
    yeah sorry, my private teacher just calls the quad C a double C.

Rowuk responded:

In Germany we call double C C4. C is the second space in the bass clef, C1 is middle C, C2 3rd space in the treble clef and so on. Quad C makes sense - it is just not common in the US for instance

=================

quoted from
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/131/help-please-33921-2.html#post299262

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There seems to be many different options here!
    My stand is: if you have a clean, usable, repeatable double C, nobody asks any questions. I learned that the double octave always starts with C and that Cb is a source of contention.
    For all of you SQUEAKERS out there, figure out what RESONANT means before starting a semantics war.

For those interested, here are some interesting links that back up my post:
    Dolmetsch Online - Music Theory Online - Staffs, Clefs & Pitch Notation
    Frequencies
    Scientific pitch notation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amazing what a minimal amount of googling can produce!

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Just remember 95% of all trumpet playing is below high c. Make sure you have that range with good sound.