High f

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PINCHUNO, Jun 18, 2014.

1. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    I'm no means a "screamer", but I have a pretty good range.
    Yet why have I always found high F (above top C) to be such an awkward squirrely note?
    Anyone else the same?
    Thanks.

2. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    So you didn't like the answers on Trumpetherald?

3. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Very much so. Thank you. I like to get input from as many people as possible.

4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    While it might be the player, this point must not be forgotten:

Horns slot differently.

My Getzen 90 Deluxe has a very uneven register above High C. The High E partial feels like it almost doesn't exist, but playing higher or lower than High E isn't much of a problem. On the whole, however, it's not my go-to for high note playing at all.

On the flipside, my Yamaha 6310Z has an easy-playing upper register - not necessarily open-feeling, but it speaks easily and can be pushed to great limit.

The same goes for my King 1117SP, except the upper register is more open-feeling.

I also prefer using shallower, smaller mouthpieces for all work [5.5SC - probably like a 5E if Bach ever made one] - this allows me to play in the upper register without equipment change, but I have been working on developing a consistently full sound across all registers. So far, I'm having no problems with it whatsoever.

5. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I experienced the same thing for a while, but that subsided with increased practice. The high F is the first note that I can play with a false open fingering, which I feel plays a part in it. I'm sure there's technical reasons for it, but squirrely is a rather apt description in my opinion.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    What fingering (i.e. what harmonic) are you using for the F? If you are using open, you are attempting to sound the 11th harmonic which is not in tune with our equally tempered scale; it is somewhere between between F sharp and F. And how good a design/condition is the instrument/mouthpiece combination?

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Equipment can help, or (more likely) just move your problem to a different note.

Check mpc gap, backbore, leadpipe (normal vs reversed)... Tight vs open leadpipe. Tuning slide crook shape, bell taper, brace locations, 3rd slide waterkey (yes vs no for 3rd valve high A)

Actually, though... YOU are the instrument, not the hunk o' brass. Your problem likely lies with the guy in the mirror.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You also are reaching the limits of most horns design. VB said in a recent post that a over high F it's more a megaphone than trumpet. Just keep at it and you'll get there.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You might try playing the high f with first and third valves.

10. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Good grief.... I always found that my C-sharp above Double C is a bit inconsistent. Sarcasm aside, good luck with that one Pinchuno!