High f

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PINCHUNO, Jun 18, 2014.

1. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Thanks for all the help.
    I play an Eclipse Large Yellow with a more or less middle of he road leadpipe. Sometimes I swap to a tighter one, depending on the gig. My mouthpiece is a GR Bergeron studio. Granted, I've had a few slow weeks and not been practicing as I should, but that bloody high F is a sod. It's always been difficult on whichever horn and I manage to play a good couple of notes above it more or less regularly.
    I use first valve. Or try to. It feels as though the slot is very small and the air struggles to get through. I always try to play the high register stuff PP and relaxed when I'm practising. I can do the "Knevitt - Cimera" method, exercise 16, well above the high G that is written, at p -mf but try to play the frigging high F on its own and.....aaarrggghhhhhhhh 30% success rate.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi PINCHUNO,
    I have no problems with F above high C. Playing in the upper register is about control, not about force and power.
    Here's something to try:
    1. Print out a free document called The Basics Sheet and follow the instructions.
    2. Practice using a mirror as the sheet recommends.
    My guess? When you look at the mirror I think you'll find some things that you were not aware of.
    Good Luck and if you need any help with the sheet, just let me know.
    Dr.Mark

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Totally a ridiculous comment -- you can get beautiful sounding notes above the F -- the design limits??? - whatever!!!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Let KT tell you the truth. (Your overthinking the F) - view that F like the one on the top line of the staff (use a bit more air) -- you have problems because you think you have problems with it --- if you can play relaxed like the F an octave lower -- your problem will be soon fixed

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Is there a thread about this somewhere? If not, you should start one Ivan. I'll admit, I'm mostly in the dark with your post but it definitely has me intrigued. I would love to learn more.

Sorry for being off topic...
    Kujo

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    +1. On the very odd occasion I venture up there, I'm never sure my G isn't an open F blown sharp. How do you tell the difference?

7. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Pinchuno - you are ahead of me. I can get out a high E but it is not reliable yet. Funnily enough on Monday night it came out very clearly, but when I went for the F above it, I am not entirely sure what note came out. I for one am looking forward to a squirrely High F!

I am sure that both of us will get there with patience and time.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Yes this is also a very helpful resource.

Does anyone have a reference that compares the 9 notes of the harmonic series from 8th to 16th (high C to double high C with steadily diminishing intervals), with the 8 notes of the major scale?