High f

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PINCHUNO, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Acoustic scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Best known from "The Simpsons".

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It essentially the same as the natural trumpet from c in the staff to c above the staff. The open f is a lipped down f#, the a a lipped down bb and the b a lipped down c.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GM -- I need a doctor (((interesting that you and I had no problems with the F or the G and A above that a few weeks ago))) - actually GM sound was on up to the E ABOVE this high F --- in tune, not shaky at all ----- hope this testimony helps you people

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Hey do you have one of those gizmos? - I think they are called tuners --- you might think that is a flippant comment, but in reality it's "ear training" ---in the upper register I used to do the tuner to get the pitch, now I do arppegios or octave slurs to check my pitch.... but occasionally check with the tuner

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've found it to be a kind of interesting situation with me between the E and the F.

Disclaimer - my range above 2nd Ledger C has never been great, so...

In my experience, if I can slot the F, I can just hammer it, but the E is squirrely. If I can hammer the E, the F is squirrely. I can usually strongly slot one or the other, but typically not both.

In any case, yeah - sometimes my F is kind of all over the place and oddly, if I'm having a hard time with the F, the F# is actually easier to grab onto.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thanks VB
    I am more interested in the comparison between the actual pitches of the harmonic series and the equally tempered scale. I will calculate these (Mr Google thankfully provides 12th root of 2 and will perform calculations for me), and post them.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The natural trumpet is in tune with the key it is pitched in, but out of tune with the equally tempered scale.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    KT, I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. The player is the limiting factor once you get past where the horn "helps" the player. The horn stops "helping" around high F. The player with developed chops has learned to go beyond the
    "limitations" of the horn but it ain't easy or everyone could do
    it.

9. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    The thing is, I make my living palying he trumpet. Have done for the last 20 odd years. I've played all kinds of music and still do. Just had a rehearsal this morning with a big band and the first tune was "Cowboy bebop". It has it's share of high notes and they came out no problem. But why does playing isolated high F's still cause some problems?

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, it sounds like you're psyching yourself out.