High f

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PINCHUNO, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You might be consciously or unconsciously playing the f you want to hear when the trumpet has its own idea what an f is.

2. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Pinchuno, is your group playing the song "Cowboy Bebop" or are you playing a selection from the soundtrack of the anime of the same name? Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts created some really badass tunes. It would be incredible to see and hear a big band on our side of the pond suing some of that stuff live.

Cheers!

3. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Yes. It's the same tune from the soundtrack. Pretty good fun.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First of all, that high f is NOT a screaming note, unless you cannot hit it, in which case, anger may ensue and screaming may result (by player, not by horn). I guess screaming is relative, and I scream at most of my relatives.

I too find the f on most horns I play, not the easiest of slotting notes (same is true of high A and Ab, unless I third finger the A and it slots easier). This is likely a quirk of the instrument and not isolated to a specific horn. The only exception is the Harrelson that slots any note with laser accuracy.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do your horns share ideas with you often VB? Schedule an appointment with me soon, perhaps we need to titrate up on the meds, yes?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So see, even I with a trumpet in my hand (talking or otherwise) can keep it from screaming. Be gentle with your notes (horn), and they (it) will be gentle with you. Let the notes speak to your audience, but not to the point where they are talking to you, which would be another indication to schedule an appointment with me.

7. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Thanks for the input. (I didn't say F was a screaming note). The mystery is in the fact that I can play above it with very little fuss and so was wondering what the "problem" was with top F?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Every time I miss a note the trumpet has a say about it. I do like the idea of meds. Have any HGH you want to prescribe?

9. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I think that I owe you an apology - you are plainly a proper player, whereas I am a struggling hacker. I misunderstood about this squirrely note. From what you say it sounds like you are half expecting the note to come out a little duff and so it does.

If I may use a poor example for a minute. If I am playing golf, I can play a good 3 iron, 4 iron, 6 iron and 7 iron, but my 5 iron shots have always been suspect. To the point that I often choose not to play that club.

I don't know what the solution is but i am guessing practicing that F every time you play might be the way to go (although you are probably doing this already).