High note problems - 2 days straight

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adam V, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Adam V

Adam V Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey everyone.

I've been having some problems with my high notes for the past two days and I don't know why. I highly doubt it's my lips--my lips feel like they can play double Cs--so I think it's my airflow. I do the same breathing exercises every day right before my warmup, so I don't know how my air support can be so different each day... I didn't expect today to be a "bad high note day" either because when I did my regular mouthpiece warmup, I was able to go to a high G, just like any other day. On the horn, B above the staff and anything higher just sounds terrible. The volume immediately gets pianissimo, the tone gets airy and disgusting, and it feels like I'm using twice the effort than I use on normal days.

Feel free to ask me any questions about my playing or my equipment. Anything that can help you help me.

Thank you very much

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Maybe you are overworking your lip and it is tired. Maybe do a less intense practice routine for a few days staying in the staff to let it recover.

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    High G on a mpc? Aside from the hyperbole that a statement like that indicates, that's a good indication of Overwork and it's just about always the problem when this happens, for me. Rest is often better for you than practicing on those days, or certainly very light work, soft volume, nothing high. The day after that, all is most always well.
    Good luck. As hard as it may be. put it away if you can.

Ed
    Google

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    yep, i had that problem, just take a nice break... that worked for me... i know that it may be hard to put yo baby down, but sometimes its best!

5. DavidS

DavidS New Friend

May 31, 2009
    Brooklyn
    I agree, you're likely working too hard. In the early 1970's, I studied with Jerry Callett in Pittsburgh. He had a methodology (and a book) called Trumpet Yoga that I found very helpful. I think that he is now in Staten Island, and sells high end trumpets.

6. Adam V

Adam V Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I guess I just won't play all day tomorrow. Hopefully it helps.

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Don't try to overwork the high playing. Sometimes in our frustration we try to make too much of a change to get high if it is not working as well as we think it should. Relax and realize that as we go up the changes in the lip are very very small it is a very slight adjustment to get that higher note.

8. Adam V

Adam V Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't think I always overwork the high register, because it's only once in a while that I have this problem, not all the time. I may have overworked recently though, which caused my 2-day bad high-register. That's why I'm going to rest tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  9. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Whatever you do, just don't try to keep blasting out those high notes or you'll mess things up :thumbdown:

10. DezynGuy

DezynGuy Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Burlingame, CA
    I'm glad you asked this question, Adam. I've had the exact same problem today and walked away from my practice session a bit down-hearted. But now, thanks to all the great advice here I'm encouraged....and staying "low" for a bit.

Thanks everyone!