High note troubles.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bydetn18, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    This may have been true for you, but may not necessarily be a good idea for the OP. The band director was at least able to see your embouchure, and was hopefully trained in what one should look like. I think we should be very careful about giving mouthpiece size recommendations over the Internet, since the optimal cup diameter, particularly, depends so much on the player's physionomy. Teeth, lip size, muscular development etc.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Don't have an A - never have, and probably never will. Like I mentioned above, I'm a functional hack - I play well enough that I can cruise in and around local groups and gigging and even do some arguably decent performances, but I'll never be good enough to land a really prime gig. At least not as a trumpet player. As a drummer...but that's another post for another day on another forum. :D

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    And this may be the most important advice from Trickg illustrating the fact thst he is a versatile player who can adapt to the needs of the group at hand (the OP indicated in his original post that he had trouble hitting high notes) - we all jumped in with advice, but what was the OP's goal? ---- but I merely pointed out that high notes don't necessarily make one the best player -