High note trumpet playing-SOUND!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, May 18, 2009.

1. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Listen guys. I have been reading all these posts for some time now and listening to all the chatter and seen all the youtube videos. Many of you are searching for the magic high note answer. Many of the young hot guys are very impressive, ie.Rapa, Pero etc. great sounds!. But many young players are being fooled! Go back and really listen to real trumpet sounds ie, James, Hirt, Severson, Andre, Morrison, McNab, Young, etc. I'm talking about overtones. Don't forget our history!! I will not say that I am the answer but please check out my videos on youtube and decide for yourself. I'm hearing a lot of high notes but not much sound quality. You young guys are our future but for the most part I'm not very impressed with what I'm hearing in respect to sound.
    Wayne Naus
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Errrrr... umm...
    There are definitely some monster players who are young and have a gorgeous, "overtoney?" sound that you seem to be talking about.
    I'll agree that too many people search for high notes and the like, but to say that the new players don't have a "real trumpet sound" bothers me...

EDIT: I think my point is that I like your idea (its not about the notes, its about the sound) but not the way you said it

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    nice... i like what youve got goin on... im a sophmore, pumpin... i think what are E's... need to get a hold of the tuner... proly just a c... o well... what i want to say is you tone on thos high notes is fantastic... i really love to here that... and it encourages me...

still a rapa fan...

4. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    I did not say that "all" the newer younger players don't have a good sound. I'm saying that younger players should not sacrifice sound for high notes.

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

As a younger player myself, I agree fully - it was just the way that it was worded bothered me.
    And I don't think its just younger players that shouldn't sacrifice sound

6. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    OK, sorry for the wording. What I'm saying applys to everyone! Young and old. As a musician, sound is the final,ultimate and most challenging refinement. As trumpet players we should always be asking and searching for the "perfect" trumpet sound whatever that is.

7. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I play an old raspy sounding axe for some work, and a more percise horn for others. there are times when my equipment choice for a certain band doesn't jive (fully tight band w/ my ambassador, or a blaring/bright/thin band with my Benge) My high notes (sound) are relative to the horn i am playing, and while i am playing either solos, lead, or support my tone is great. My sound is kinda mixture of Armstrong/Dizzy/Mendez for some work and more Miles/Chet Baker for others...... That being said, could the high note "fixation" be on imitating those players for the type and style of playing instead of one sound as a basis or "blanket" tone for everything you do?

Is there only one perfect trumpet sound?

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think you're right (particularly about younger players). There's a tendancy to say I can "hit" a G above high C, or I can "hit" a double C, but the reality is that they are just squeaks. If you're in a band and the sound of your "scream" register doesn't make it past the wind player sitting in front of you then you don't really own the note.

I appreciate the fact that you play a lot of patriotic music. I like the fact that you play them with some power as well...

9. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Excellent question! Is there a perfect sound? In my humble opinion, the definition of a perfect sound is one that contains many overtones. Much like a great tasting wine. One that pulls you in rather than pushes you away. This is not something that we develope through practice but rather what we are born with. It is possible to adjust our personal sound with different equipment but in the end your body and physical makeup is what determines your sound.

10. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ok, I undeerstand that. Each person needs to find their own "sound", But... Would it then be fair to say that jack's sound is not as good as jill's (fictional people) sound? Or would the sound/tone be their own and therefore the pinnicle of perfection for them?