High note trumpet playing-SOUND!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, May 18, 2009.

1. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Wayne is right on. And as great as those videos are nothing replaces hearing those sounds in person. Although many of the greats have left us, I encourage everyone to go out and hear players who have come from this school of sound concept. Snooky and Doc: when you hear them play in person you realize that their sounds have "sides", not just a "point". Something we should all strive for.

Tony

2. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Jack's sound may or may not be as good as Jill's. If they have reached their own sound/tone potential then it would be their pinnacle of perfection regardless if it is perfection to someone else. All we can do is try to reach our full potential every day, but at the same time be aware of where we are in relation to what is considered the "best".

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that the statistics have changed. Student "sound" is just more accessible through YouTube.
    The problem is that too many players are on transmit instead of receive.
    Granted, there are great examples of sound out there, but in many cases emulation is not part of the testosterone driven adolescent experience. I believe in natural selection. Those that don't get it can ask all the questions in the world or read all of the great advice here. The end product is more humilty driven than most are willing to accept.
    Listening is the answer. Ears off = dead in the water
    Now go out and do the right thing!

4. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Well said!
    WN

5. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    Good posts, all! Wayne, I'm happy to know you're still around! I've enjoyed your playing over the years, and like a lot of good players who have (to me) disappeared into acadamia or studios, I've wondered what happened to you.
    You are all right on the money in regards to listening to the older pros and finding the quality in their playing. There are too many posts out there from people who claim to have "hit" this note or that (and usually their vernacular is an octave off... actually hitting "highs" instead of "doubles"). "Hitting" is one thing. Being able to accurately play up there with the ability to shape things all day and night and make music out if it is quite another.

6. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks Geoff, yea I'm still around and still tryin to tame the beast!
    Wayne
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    wnaus,
    It sounds like you're describing two different types of sounds. Those who play dark like Miles, Jensen, Marsalis, Botti, and those who play bright like Mendez(well, maybe not Mendez as he's pretty close to spectrally perfect in sound to my ears), Maynard, Faddis, Cat, Vizzutti, DiMartino, Doc, Don and John Thomas.
    Of course the trumpet players a person will see if they Google or Youtube "jazz trumpet" will likely be Botti and Marsalis. Why? Its what the majority likes. These individuals appear to lean toward the beautiful velvety thick darker less bright side of the spectrum to my ears.
    However, if you're thinking that full bright pin your ears back trumpet isn't alive and well then allow me to enlighten you:
    Run don't walk to the nearest DCI sanctioned competition this summer and once the competitions are over watch the World Championships on ESPN (yes, ESPN). You will find that the bright powerful full robust angelic sound of the trumpet is alive and well and is far from lost.
    Now, lets talk jazz: Go to the University of North Texas's website and order the
    "The Best of the O'Oclock Lab Band"
    I think you'll find that maybe you were just looking in the wrong places but thats OK. I do that on a hourly basis.

8. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback! In fact after I wrote the thread I thought that in the three main musical styles that trumpet is played, legit, jazz and lead, that within each style there are numerous categories of "good" sounds, from bright to dark, thin to heavy. I am familiar with the North Texas Lab Band and wish Berklee (where I am employed) would support a traditional style big band like that one. I don't know if we are talking about the same type of trumpet sound. I would say I like the robust angelic sound and know it is alive. I guess I'm really referring to a lot of the high note exhibitions now being posted on youtube. It's not really about sound or music but a testosterone competition. Nothing wrong with that but for the most part I don't hear what I would call "good" trumpet sounds.
    Wayne
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Damned, you're right. I checked out some random sites (not Botti or Marsalis) and it seems like there's more hormones raging than people singing on the trumpet when it comes to high notes. Yeah, the sound kinda sucks too. All that energy wasted on youth.

10. punkster

punkster New Friend

May 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Just my 2 cents. I was never a high note player as high notes just didn't vibrate in me the way solid, round, mellow low and mid range notes did. Always a 3rd or 4th chair, never a lead but entrirely satisfied with my sound. Look within yourself and you'll eventually find your own sweet spot.