high notes and loudness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eragonking, Sep 9, 2015.

1. eragonking

eragonking New Friend

Sep 5, 2015
    hey my name is nick and i have currently for the last several years been playing on a lvl 1 yamaha trumpet and have been able to play high c above the staff with little trouble but it seems the higher i go the softer i play and id like to be able to play high and loud for marching season i have also researched a bit and i see that my trumpet is a beginners trumpet and was wondering if maybe getting a new trumpet would possibly help or if its the fact that I'm tightening my stomach muscles too much and not letting enough air out to make it a nice brass and full sound if it is getting a new trumpet i currently don't have the funds to buy one yet but would be great to know if i possibly needed it any info helps thanks:huh:

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Nick, In general the answer is that more precision instruments make the task easier. That said, it is my opinion that if one can't complete the task with what they have, it is just as unlikely they'll be able to with better instruments. Even with COPD I believe I could easily hit the C on the second ledger line above the staff with your Yamaha Bb trumpet ... if it has been well maintained. I regularly hear a similar complaint from students, and I'm normally playing a student quality instrument myself ... one that is bathed a least semi-weekly and re-lubricated if I'm playing or practicing on it every day. The other side of the story is that I don't know of any marches that require playing notes higher ... improvised jazz quite often, but satisfactory isn't likely until playing at least at a college level. I played 3 years in college with a rented Getzen, likely a Capri model or less at the rate I rented it for, and that was field marching and concert stage.

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Please note Mr. Wise passed on earlier this year.
    You may with to repost this question in another area on this forum.
    By the way, unless the horn is really out of whack, it is you and not the horn.
    Rich T.

4. eragonking

eragonking New Friend

Sep 5, 2015

thanks for the info

5. eragonking

eragonking New Friend

Sep 5, 2015
    also for ed lee is there any practices like breathing exercises to help me play better and sound better

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    To play higher, you need more compression (lung pressure).
    To play louder, you need more compression.

So to play both higher and louder, you need to develop both the air support from the abdominal muscles that compress your lungs, and a strong but flexible embouchure that can maintain fine control under that pressure without either clamping shut or blowing open.

You don't need abdominal muscles like Vin Diesel to play trumpet, but a bit of aerobic exercise won't do any harm. Maybe speak to a fitness instructor about this.

And a good trumpet tutor will guide you in setting the appropriate exercises and practice regime to develop your embouchure strength, flexibility and control. (Long tones and lip slurs are a good part of this)

It takes a lot of time, dedication and patience, and must not be rushed or you'll probably do serious damage to yourself.

As stated above, it's not the instrument.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it's not the instrument ---- you need to keep the embouchure firm, but the center of your lips loose enough to vibrate. The horn is not the problem, and please don't force the trumpet into your lips ----- cause that won't work for long either. This is very difficult to explain to you, how you don't have to FORCE the air, but you need to support the air ------ just as you don't need to use force to jam the horn into your lips, but rather have a firm enough embouchure that you put the lips to your horn and the muscles hold your embouchure intact without pressure. IMHO you can't be ready for this season to play higher and louder ----- it takes lots and lots of repetitions, and correct technique and a year or two to master ------my best advice after finding someone who can teach you how to do this, is to HAVE PATIENCE in this process, if you practice properly, put in the hundreds if not thousands of hours of time ---- it will happen.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Pursue optimum health with the support of physicians and diet, don't smoke and swim as often as you can ... and PRACTICE!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Practice??? --- come on Ed, you just gave our secret away ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The only secrets I know of have a US National Security Classification ... and I no longer remember them.

Seems to me that we have been told to PRACTICE since the beginning of lessons, but many didn't listen, and some still don't.