high notes and loudness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eragonking, Sep 9, 2015.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I always Practice -- perhaps someday I will get better - ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With concentrated, wise practicing, that day is tomorrow, you crazy pumpkin lover.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To reinforce what other's above me have posted: It isn't the horn. You need to open up your airflow. I am betting you begin pinching this off due to psyching your self out and straining to produce a higher note. Don't over work. Relax. Use the Vulgano Brother Zen Breathing Technique - The Ray of Power, not to be confused with the Tower of Power, but both will answer that age old question: What is Hip?

So hear the note, see the note, be the note, DON'T force the note.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The high notes cut through anyhow - so the higher you play, the quieter you should be - so, you don't have a problem.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I ran out of breath half way through your sentence. You say you have played for several years, then how about making it easier on people reading your Thread, by using some punctuation. It messes us all up trying to understand your question?

Playing high and loud will destroy you, start by playing higher and softer, one note at a time, and develop a good tone.

New trumpets help, because you tend to practice more on a new trumpet, Practice = improvement. But you can practice on a bad trumpet and improve as well - range is the result of a lot of good, concentrated practice, not a new mouthpiece and horn.

Finding the next trumpet can take time, keep practicing on the horn you have, and go softly... On the field, blow your head off. Marching should be fun, making some good noise, and pleasing a roudy crowd.

Expand your groups to some ensemble groups to help you develop a balance in your playing. A good tone is the best thing to chase - not a high range.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  6. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    To some degree, you have to play high to learn to play high. There is a knack to it. I will say that my range has developed nicely with daily practice of a range study. Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach (along with a good teacher that took lessons from Claude) has helped expand my range up to high Ab. It also takes a lot of time and patience. Good luck.

7. lgrotte

lgrotte New Friend

Nov 14, 2014
    I absolutely agree! I know I could play the same pitches on a 60 dollar trumpet and on my strad. I do know that my strad sounds better, but if all you are looking for is range, then stick with what you've got, but if you are planning on playing for a while, then I would suggest getting a new horn.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Although I've been playing quite a long while, I don't aspire to play to play professionally. As I don't believe it a "fair game" to demonstrate to beginners with a professional instrument there is no justification at that level for me to buy a new horn. Likely, were I to buy a new trumpet, it would take me six months or longer to acquaint myself well with it. The best tonality requires much more than an instrument ... even more than what the player provides.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Just a little jibe on punctuation. Here is the same thing, with punctuation - 2 messages can be read if you leave the punctuation to the Reader to interpret.

Dear John:
    I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we’re apart. I can be forever happy –will you let me be yours?
    Gloria

Dear John:
    I want a man who knows what love is . All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we’re apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?
    yours,
    Gloria

Practice the trumpet, and practice punctuation, or we can be giving you the wrong advice.
    Have fun!

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ..... or even man's laughter vs manslaughter.