High notes/Marching Band: cold weather vs hot weather

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mike Barkett, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Mike Barkett

Mike Barkett New Friend

Nov 19, 2010
    I am in high school and we have recently ended our marching band season :( In one of our songs there are about 21 high Cs. Throughout our show this year the weather has drastically changed. I have always wonder whether people prefer to play high when it is very cold outside or when it is hot outside. Thank you.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I like to play when it is warm. The human body needs a lot of energy to function in the cold. That is energy that is not available for playing.

I do not like to play high. I like to play the necessary notes in the highest quality.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :roll: Seems like an ideal world :roll:
    (I too, don't like being cold).:noway:

4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Back in the early days of our nation's history, I was in High School Marching Band. I can't remember any real difference as far as high notes, but I do recall the flute players never wore shorts in practice during cold weather. Warm weather was much better.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I too prefer warm weather. Hate cold,just finished digging out of a major blizzard here in the north east.

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    When in high school, (a long time ago!) we played outside for the opening of a large, new business. The weather was clear and in the upper 20s Fahrenheit, which caused horrific intonation problems with a band that was nationally recognized for concert excellence. I discovered that is is virtually impossible to keep a french horn (with 31 feet of tubing) in tune when one end of the horn is warm and the other is frozen!

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    mike asks:
    I have always wonder whether people prefer to play high when it is very cold outside or when it is hot outside.
    ---
    Are you kidding?
    Warm. Not too hot, not too cool, warm. Cold weather play havoc with intonation. Last year I played a 4 hour gig outside and it must have been around 45 degrees. It was one of the hardest shows I've ever done. All 4 hours was spent fighting the horn.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In my marching days I felt the high notes were easier in cold weather and more difficult in hot weather.

I agree with kcmt01 about practicing in hot weather, we liked watching the flute players in shorts, but one of them did get the nickname "Thunder Thighs." ;-)

JLSmith526 likes this.
  9. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    Warm all the way.

Worst gig I ever played was an outdoor New Years gig in downtown OKC. It was about 10* with a stiff breeze, and the only warmth on stage was one of those propane jet things they set up between the front monitors. Almost 3 hours of alternating freezing and burning based on where I happened to be relative to the exhaust blast, and we stopped trying to tune about halfway through the first set. Audience was bombed and freezing anyway, so nobody seemed to mind...

Scatmanblues

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Me too!.......Nice weather is always comfortable. Too hot and too much sweat. Too cold and too much lack of audience appreciation for my suffering. BUT my favorite gig of the year is at the Salvation Army kettel around Christmas time. The colder the better for this one, GREAT FUN.:thumbsup: